Respected Contributor

Re: Earthquake in California

thank goodness it was offshore.  not felt in my part of Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley.  of course with all the other plate movement around the world we had been expecting something. perhaps it was felt more in Ventura/Oxnard ?

Honored Contributor

My first thought, being off shore, was tsunami danger,

but since it was 10miles in depth, thank goodness nothing

like that happpend.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I felt a couple small jolts about 20 minutes ago. I figured it was either an earthquake or my being sick. :-) But then nextdoor.com went crazy. I don't know how widespread it was, but twitter is coming in from all over the place. Not verified: it was in the ocean near the Channel Islands and was a 5.0

@suzyQ3  I am in No. Ca and did not feel it.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I felt a couple small jolts about 20 minutes ago. I figured it was either an earthquake or my being sick. :-) But then nextdoor.com went crazy. I don't know how widespread it was, but twitter is coming in from all over the place. Not verified: it was in the ocean near the Channel Islands and was a 5.0

How are you doing   @suzyQ3  ?

Feeling OK?  I hope nothing fell down in your house.

@Noel7, I'm on the mend, I hope. Thank you. I hope that you are doing well.

No, I barely felt a couple mild jolts.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

How are you doing   @suzyQ3  ?

Feeling OK?  I hope nothing fell down in your house.

@Noel7, I'm on the mend, I hope. Thank you. I hope that you are doing well.

No, I barely felt a couple mild jolts.

Get well soon @suzyQ3 !

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Noel7, but what about you? How are you doing healthwise?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

How  scary! The price of living here in beautiful, sunny California! I heard it hit Torrance, parts of Los Angeles and was felt as far away as San Luis Obispo . I was in that 1989 earthquake, something I will never, ever forget. The one consolation I do have When I get scared thinking of another quake, is we have such improved infrastructure.  Most buildings after 1990 have been retrofitted for quakes, and our standards are high.  I know many of the historical buildings here in my town have been retrofitted as well.  So I think we can take a big quake,  but I wouldn't want to go through another quite to see if the retrofitted buildings really work!   No matter what way one looks at it, it isstill such a frightening experience!!!  Omg, when I am upstairs, and my husband shuts the garage door that shakes the house a bit. , I just freak fo a minute, my heart pounds.  Reminds me of 1989

Honored Contributor

We have had a few quakes here in the last few months.  I felt one small one, but a couple were enough to wake people up.  We never got any above 4.0 , at the worst. I am in the most southern part of Santa Clara Valley.   In a way it is good that California is letting off steam here and there. It helps alleviate the pressure of bit

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Thank you, @Noel7, but what about you? How are you doing healthwise?

@suzyQ3

I have been better 🙂. It’s been really tough lately.

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I'm sorry but in most places a 5 something quake isn't a big deal (I  understand on East Coast, where they don't build for any quakes it can cause a lot of damage).  From 6 on up quakes are frequently deadly.  I lived in Ridgecrest .CA for 25 years (otherwise known as "earthquake capitol").  Any tremor can be scary, I get it.

Exactly.  In San Diego in the 80’s we had a cluster of tremors or small earthquakes.  We were so used to them that we stopped getting underneath door jams. It’s a part of being a Californian.  Those whio have never lived there don’t understand.