Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs in the grocery store

I have seen more and more dogs in all kinds of stores.  We have at least 5 grocery stores in our town, I have seen dogs in all of them.  

Some of the dogs wear the those coverlets advising these dogs are in training for service dogs, some dogs are not wearing coverlets advising of dog in training.

i sometimes worry about what would happen if the dog flipped out and attacked a person.  I try to steer clear when I see these dogs .

Trusted Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

I have seen more and more dogs in all kinds of stores.  We have at least 5 grocery stores in our town, I have seen dogs in all of them.  

Some of the dogs wear the those coverlets advising these dogs are in training for service dogs, some dogs are not wearing coverlets advising of dog in training.

i sometimes worry about what would happen if the dog flipped out and attacked a person.  I try to steer clear when I see these dogs .

How  many times has a person flipped out and attacked other people? I think that is much more common!

Honored Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

@viva923 wrote:

How  many times has a person flipped out and attacked other people? I think that is much more common!

Dogs have better manners than some of my neighbors..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Occasional Contributor

Hello. New poster here {waves}

I don't really like pocket dogs in stores but I can live with them.

I don't think any dogs except service dogs belong anywhere fresh food is sold. And companion animals are not service animals.  I don't think there is a real need for dogs in a grocery store unless the customer is blind or partially paralyzed.

Honored Contributor

@Chu Toy wrote:

I don't think any dogs except service dogs belong anywhere fresh food is sold. And companion animals are not service animals.  I don't think there is a real need for dogs in a grocery store unless the customer is blind or partially paralyzed.

@Chu Toy

There are many reasons a service dog may be needed.  Some sniff out an oncoming attack for diabetics that would render them unconscious.  One woman in the PBS documentary would suddenly drop to the floor with her illness, her service dog stands over her to protects her and will bark for help if it's serious.  According to the woman, people ignored her before, thinking she was drunk.  Service vets have PTSD and suffer uncontrollable flashbacks.  That's just a few of the other reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So, do people who think dogs should be banned from grocery stores have dogs in their homes?

Or are they banned there too?

Really not a relevant comparison.  In the privacy of your home you are free to do what you please.  When in public there are others to be considered and expected behaviors. It is called living in a society.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

In fact though , no matter how much Noel tries to quote to us all these odd ball possibilities - the fact is these are simply pets and nothing else.-- and they are not covered by the Americans with disabilities act. This situation is absolutely ridiculous these days that you can hardly go anywhere without people bringing their - usually very poorly trained - dogs.

Honored Contributor

Thankfully, living in this society includes laws to allow the disabled to take their service dogs wherever they go.

Occasional Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Chu Toy wrote:

@Chu Toy

There are many reasons a service dog may be needed.  Some sniff out an oncoming attack for diabetics that would render them unconscious.  One woman in the PBS documentary would suddenly drop to the floor with her illness, her service dog stands over her to protects her and will bark for help if it's serious.  According to the woman, people ignored her before, thinking she was drunk.  Service vets have PTSD and suffer uncontrollable flashbacks.  That's just a few of the other reasons.

I think you missed "EXCEPT service dogs" in my post?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

In fact though , no matter how much Noel tries to quote to us all these odd ball possibilities - the fact is these are simply pets and nothing else.-- and they are not covered by the Americans with disabilities act. This situation is absolutely ridiculous these days that you can hardly go anywhere without people bringing their - usually very poorly trained - dogs.

@151949

You didn't read your own line?

Yes, they are covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act.  I provided you with the laws and ADA reference, too bad you ignored them.

You say you are a nurse.  I find it hard to believe you don't know what a service dog is.