Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does it bother you to be alone or do you value solitude?

I use my alone time to recharge, refocus and re-energize. I doubt I'd ever want to live alone though.

Honored Contributor

I like my own space, but I don't like being alone for any length of time. Life is so short and I realize that the older I get, my family actually makes it a priority to get together at least once a month.

Honored Contributor

I love living alone and doing or not doing what I want from the time I leave my office until I return. 

Last week-end I was lying on the couch reading a great book not expecting anyone so when someone knocked on my front door I just continued my reading and did not even get up to see who it was.  An hour later I may have felt different hearing that knock but not then. 

Phone turned off, door locked tight, really good book!

Solitude is bliss to me after being the stay at home wife, mother and PTA officer for so many years.  I loved all those years giving and sharing it but I love time for me now too.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I realized early on that I wasn't meant to be married, liked my solitude and my own company too much. That is great when you are young and healthy.

Now that I have been sick for 10 years with no family, friends or neighbors it is a tough life to live alone with no

help. It's funny how everyone takes off when you get sick.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Who knew there were so many of us?

My work is public, fast paced, stressful, health care, and I place lots of demands on myself.  I'm a tough boss.

Love & need down time to un-wind, relax, think, and recharge.  I always understand me, and I never bore myself!

As many have said, no one picks me as an introvert, and I do enjoy meeting people, exchanging ideas, understanding views different than mine.  But after a while, the sound of constant talking, talking, and noise starts to grate  and then it's time for my furry friends.

Thanks for starting this thread minkbunny!

It's not uncommon fror an introvert to appear extroverted when surrounded by those they know well, those they feel know *them* well, and feel comfortable with. Introvert parties can be par-tays too.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Who knew there were so many of us?

My work is public, fast paced, stressful, health care, and I place lots of demands on myself.  I'm a tough boss.

Love & need down time to un-wind, relax, think, and recharge.  I always understand me, and I never bore myself!

As many have said, no one picks me as an introvert, and I do enjoy meeting people, exchanging ideas, understanding views different than mine.  But after a while, the sound of constant talking, talking, and noise starts to grate  and then it's time for my furry friends.

Thanks for starting this thread minkbunny!

Dythe,

This was a carbon copy of me prior to retirement mid-2013.  The adjustment has been a challenge.  I miss my docs, the training and challenges.

Respected Contributor

I don't mind being alone because I have never had any issues with finding something that I enjoy doing. However, I love seeing my children and my grandson and my husband is my rock. I am a people person and always have been....... I make sure I get out of the house daily and meet with friends whenever I can.

Solitude is fine for a few hours but I like to converse with people and hear about how they are doing... I have been told that I am a good listener.

Honored Contributor

I love my solitude, especially in the early morning and late evening.  DH goes for coffee with a group of retired men every morning and it's the perfect time for me to contemplate plans for the day and/or evening and/or week.  It's just me and my two dogs who are always by my side ... and coffee is always great on the patio this time of year.

The older I am the more I hate large crowds.  I prefer to be with family and close friends.  Family is important to me and as the youngest of six, I organize monthly family gatherings with brothers and sisters and their spouses once a month.  We go out to a nice restaurant and the person who has a birthday that month selects the restaurant we go to.  We've done this for at least ten years and have missed only one or two dinners, due to severe PA winter weather.  We're often the last customers at the restaurant before they close for the day.  We all look forward to these dinners and the camaraderie we all share.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me at all to be alone and sometimes I do like my alone time.  I'm not going to lie, there are times DH is gone overnight or a weekend and I am excited to have the house to myself, do what I want and have Cheerios for dinner.  LOL

I am definitely a homebody though. I prefer to be home.  I hate when we have something going on the entire weekend.  Dh is the opposite. When it's the weekend, he wants to have something going on Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday during the day if it's summer.  In the winter he wants to be home more.  

Respected Contributor

I LOVE solitude. I get out enough, and am quite involved with several groups, but it's such a joy to go home and savor being alone.