Respected Contributor

Re: Does it bother you to be alone or do you value solitude?

everyone needs a time for silence...........to be wrapped in the still........from the most extroverted person to them most introverted.........in the still is where you find your center and that's important for a balanced life.......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

Winding down for the day but wanted to thank each of you who took the time to respond.

You are all such great ladies that I am certain you are excellent company, be it in a crowd or by yourselves.

Would love to meet you all. Heart

We're all just great broads here, my friend, and you're truly one of the greatest.  Heart

OK if I make plans to visit you, the cowboy, the kitty, and all the other animals at the ranch sometime?  Smiley Wink

Sweet dreams tonight... 

I agree Minky is one of the BEST!   Minky--you're a gem and I"d love to meet you! Smiley Happy

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

everyone needs a time for silence...........to be wrapped in the still........from the most extroverted person to them most introverted.........in the still is where you find your center and that's important for a balanced life.......................................raven

@raven-blackbird, I actually do have a couple of extroverted friends who get anxiety when they are alone. I guess the possibility of introspection scares them. They plan their time so it is filled with people, people, people. I can usually spot a serious extrovert because they are the non-stop talkers, not the listeners.

As more and more replies to this thread have come in, I have been surprised at the overwhelming number of introvert-leaning posts. Most of them. So I googled the ratio of introversion to extroversion and it is practically a 50/50 split in the general population, with women being slightly more extroverted than men. Introverts are much more inclined to surf the Internet, so I guess that explains the preponderance of them here. Extroverts are finding their fun out in the world, talking, not reading, lurking, or posting.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I had a very nice apartment before DH and I married, and I loved the time I spent alone there, but after almost 40 years of marriage, I'm also used to having a companion.

I've found since we both retired that there are some adjustments to 24/7 togetherness that are easier, and some are harder. 

Honored Contributor

Who knew there were so many of us?

My work is public, fast paced, stressful, health care, and I place lots of demands on myself.  I'm a tough boss.

Love & need down time to un-wind, relax, think, and recharge.  I always understand me, and I never bore myself!

As many have said, no one picks me as an introvert, and I do enjoy meeting people, exchanging ideas, understanding views different than mine.  But after a while, the sound of constant talking, talking, and noise starts to grate  and then it's time for my furry friends.

Thanks for starting this thread minkbunny!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been married for almost 45 years. DH travels a few times a year for business. I could go with him, but I still work full time and I simply don't get that much vacation time throughout the year. So I go when I can, but there are times when I'm home. And then it's just me and the cats.

I love those times. I can get the house in order the way I like to clean it. I can get cooking and baking done for the freezer. I do the things that I like to do by myself, whether it's doing a bit of shopping or simply flopping down on the couch with a few cats and a good book. I go out to dinner with friends. Now, while these are all things I do when he is home, it's just nice to be able to turn the music on loud, rock the neighborhood for a few hours, and do my own thing. (I figure if I can listen to dogs barking and kids yelling, they can listen to some ACDC or Aerosmith for a while.)

It's a bit of time for me. I enjoy the times I have to myself, but then, after a few days, I'm more than ready for DH to come back home then, too.

Honored Contributor

I have lived alone on and off for many years.  I like being alone (although my computer allows me not to feel alone).  I like communication though and do start to get lonely if I don't hear from anyone for a few days. 

I am now living with one of my daughters, but she's an introvert too, we don't get in each other's way, but occasionally we do get talking and that's nice too. 

One thing I was never good at is living with men.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I love being alone.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@raven-blackbird, I actually do have a couple of extroverted friends who get anxiety when they are alone. I guess the possibility of introspection scares them. They plan their time so it is filled with people, people, people. I can usually spot a serious extrovert because they are the non-stop talkers, not the listeners.

As more and more replies to this thread have come in, I have been surprised at the overwhelming number of introvert-leaning posts. Most of them. So I googled the ratio of introversion to extroversion and it is practically a 50/50 split in the general population, with women being slightly more extroverted than men. Introverts are much more inclined to surf the Internet, so I guess that explains the preponderance of them here. Extroverts are finding their fun out in the world, talking, not reading, lurking, or posting.

ITA  I have a friend who is divorced with one daughter.  If she's not with her daughter on the weekends, she gets anxiety and has to plan something with someone.  I am one of her best friends, but we are very different in that aspect.  I don't have any problem being alone at all, and I value my alone time.  I do like time with friends--just not constantly.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Regular Contributor

For me, there are two kinds of solitude. The first kind is finding a few moments of solitude, to think about anything and do anything you want to. It's wonderful. The second kind of solitude happens when you lose someone, and solitude is something you just have to get used to. This solitude is much harder to appreciate.