Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else have a fear of going to the dentist..

I am not fond of dentistry in general. I hate to have my teeth cleaned. I'm 7 months into a dental implant. I had an appointment this morning but it was snowed out.

Honored Contributor

ps Part of my original fear was the needle, that long needle and what it did. Novocain did not work normally on me, I remember as a child the dentist said he was giving me a 6th injection to try to numb it. Holy Moly {#emotions_dlg.scared}

The last time I saw my dentist, less than a year ago, he was fixing a chipped filling in the back. He used something that looked like a little gadget, not even numbing me first. I asked when he was going to give me the shot and he said he already did.

I swear to you, I never even felt the shot or whatever it was. I also never felt or heard the drilling or filling replacement.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

Brehaha, I am going to have nightmares after seeing that. You crack me up!

Honored Contributor

Oh my, that dude looks like he pulls bottle caps off beer in a bar as an occupation.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Another dental chicken here with lots of horror stories from when I was young. I take a Xanax before an appointment. It just takes the edge offSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

On 3/5/2015 HollyDays said:

yes i hate it. I blame it on some traumatic incidents I had with dentists and doctors when I was a child. Smiley Sad

Same experience for me - I stalled and paid the price in needing a whole lot of dental work. But I do think dental procedures have improved and are constantly improving and I now go regularly every four months for a cleaning and checkups to see if any work is needed. Of course, I'm sure by stalling around I ended up paying for the college education of my dentist's children.

Honored Contributor

On 3/5/2015 HollyDays said:

yes i hate it. I blame it on some traumatic incidents I had with dentists and doctors when I was a child. Smiley Sad

I was a horrible dental phobic, which resulted in having to have full mouth restoration. I wish I had a better dentist as a kid and went more often as an adult

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I am the same. The most painful experience I ever had was due not to giving birth to my children but due to a root canal and subsequent infection. as a result I approach every dental appt even for a simple cleaning with fear and trepidation. When they take my blood pressure at the start of the appt it is always elevated which leads always to questions about whether I have high blood pressure. My answer is "not until I sit in this chair". It is interesting but two weeks ago I had two back teeth removed one of each side of my lower jaw. I opted to use a oral,surgeon because he could administer twilight sleep and my regular dentist could only use novacaine. When I went for the consultation he was so nice and reassuring but when I went in for the removal I had worked myself into a high state of panic. I must admit that I never felt a thing not even when he inserted the IV in my arm to administer the sedative. I was out of there in a hour, had minimal,bleeding, never even needed to take a single pain pill that he had prescribed and recovered quickly. However I have a regular dental,check up this coming week and I know that when I get in that chair my fear will once again take control.
Trusted Contributor

I absolutely hate going to the dentist and I'm 56. Didn't really have the fear as a child, and went through braces as a teen. The fear developed in adulthood. I usually take a .5 mg of Xanax and my husband drives me to the appointment, lol.

Twice a year was bad enough. Then, menopause created periodontal issues, and now I have to go 4 times a year.

I had to have two wisdom teeth removed a few years ago because I bit down on a popcorn kernel and cracked one. I shook like a baby. It's ridiculous. But, I know it's necessary.

I have an appointment for a cleaning in two weeks, and I'm already getting nervous.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

I have a fear of the bills.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.