Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone else have a fear of going to the dentist..

I know it's silly and stupid but I have always had a fear of going to the dentist. For Pete's sake is am grown woman who has had 2 kids, internal bleeding from an ectopic pregnancy and subsequent surgery, severely sprained ankle etc so I am not a wuss when it comes to pain/discomfort. What is wrong with me? The dentist I had in the past was good but I still get jumpy going. I know some comes from the dentist I had as a kid over 55 years ago. Dr. Pierce and he lived up to his name. I have an appointment today at noon with a new one so it should be an interesting day.

Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone else have a fear of going to the dentist..

yes i hate it. I blame it on some traumatic incidents I had with dentists and doctors when I was a child. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I am not afraid of the treatment. I am afraid of the costs. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

Ask if you can bring an iPod....sometimes it's the noise that bothers many. I, personally, can almost sleep through a dentist appointment! Hee.

Honored Contributor

You just need to find the RIGHT dentist.

My dentist is fantastic - I went to his grandfather when I was little.

He just stopped doing cavities...I had a new member of his practice last week. It was painless, simple and over in just a few minutes.

They even offered free hand massages...I declined...it was over too soon!

Esteemed Contributor

yes, I am not fond of going...I have to force myself...I recently cancelled an appointment because I had myself so worked up going....that I actually made myself sick...I have yet to make another appointment...

Honored Contributor

I don't like going. It's the sounds that bother me more than anything, I think. I feel all gaggy sometimes too.

Thankfully, I found a very patient hygienist who takes her time and doesn't cause me anymore anxiety.

I haven't had a cavity or any work that requires the dentist. If I did, I don't know what I'd do. I have a very high pain threshold, but dental work just causes me a lot of anxiety. Even hearing what other people are having done makes me queasy.

Honored Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Pqfan said: I am not afraid of the treatment. I am afraid of the costs. Smiley Sad

Oh, and that too. Yikes!

Honored Contributor

brii....ask if you can listen to music during your appt.

Honored Contributor

I used to hate going to the dentist. As a child I was taken to a dentist who extracted teeth with the use of gas. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} I was so sick I puked for days. Do they even use that anymore?

I go to the dentist every six months for a full cleaning. Unfortunately, my current dentist retired the end of February ... and we will really miss him. DH and I both went to him for some thirty years. He recommended the name of a new dentist but I'm not due for a cleaning until late April so we'll see. He has "big shoes" to fill IMO.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~