Super Contributor

Re: Does UPS ring your bell?

@NYC Susan wrote:

@petepetey wrote:

When they deliver a package do they ring your doorbell?

It was clearly marked "Perishable" and "Refrigerate Immediately" on large stickers all over the box.  But the UPS guy had not bothered to ring the bell, and so everything had to be thrown away.  (It was August.  Of course.)

I called UPS on her behalf, and was told that unless a signature is required, they do not have to ring the doorbell.  I have a friend whose husband is a UPS driver, and she told me that they are encouraged NOT to ring doorbells, to just drop and go, because they have a tight time schedule that they must keep.

My point of view was that it was common decency to take the 1/2 second it would have taken to ring the bell since the package was clearly perishable.  

How dare you blame the spoiled cheese on UPS. If anyone's to blame, it's you for not calling your friend to tell them to watch out for a package delivery that day. You had a tracking number for it.

Respected Contributor

My regular driver always does and we always offer him a bottle of ice tea.  The subs mostly do but if they don't that's ok with us. We offer drinks to all our delivery people.  They have a hard job and I'm not sure if it is manditory for them to ring or not.

Interesting thread, thanks!  I'm going back to read all answers.

Respected Contributor

I lived in Northern VA for 40 years and just recently retired and moved to southeastern NC.  Most have rung my doorbell or knocked.  Delivery people, either the USPS or others have an incredibly difficult job, especially this time of year.  I have never felt that they weren't trying their best, in most cases.  There's a bad apple everywhere but the majority are very hard working people.