Contributor

Does Everyone Have Insurance

I recently divorced, sold my 1/2 of my house to my hubby, quit my job and moved to another city. I was looking for a job and along cane the virus and it’s a lot harder to find a job. I’ve always had insurance through my hubby’s work but needless to say I don’t have that anymore. I had insurance through the Marketplace for awhile but since I’m not working my tax credit was cancelled. If I wanted to keep what I had it would be $700 a month with an $8000 deductible. I worry about something happening and I have no insurance. Does anyone else not have insurance?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Everyone Have Insurance

I’ve been blessed to have my insurance paid through work. I pay for my son’s but he’ll be 26 next year and I won’t be able to carry him anymore. But we found Ambetter insurance for my brother and will have my son look into it as well. Google and see if it’s offered in your State. It’s very reasonable. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got my insurance through the Affordable Health Care Act after my divorce, and used it until I was Medicare age.  Because my income was so low I had

a very minimal monthly charge, but the plan I chose had a high deductible.

I am in good health, and the plan I chose worked for me.  If I had more health issues and took a lot of meds, I would have needed a more expensive plan.  There are so many to choose from at different price points.

Esteemed Contributor

I suggest u call an insurance agent and see what's available. Are u able to get Kaiser? I believe their rates are low.

Honored Contributor

These days even if you have insurance, you have no insurance past the once a year physical.  

I broke my wrist a few years ago.  I paid for every bit of my treatment out of pocket because of the outrageous deductibles.  When they asked for my insurance card, I told them it was just a souvenir.  It pays for nothing and it didn't.  By the time I was done, I was out $2500 for my treatment and another $2500 for insurance that covered nothing.  

My family has actually belonged to a christian co-op if you are uneasy about having nothing.  Basically, you pay into the group and then submit any bills to them as you have them.  They love it since it's all they can get being small business owners and have been very pleased.

I will tell you based on their experience, if you are a cash customer like that, you'll pay a lot less than the insured.  My BIL has negotiated $20,000 hospital bills to $5000 if they would accept his offer that day.  They do every single time.  

Honored Contributor

I second looking into Kaiser. We have had it for years through my husband work for the city of Los Angeles and now through Medicare. We have had excellent, complete health care. I have had four foot surgeries, and or co-payment was $50.

But it depends, of course, on the plan you choose.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Munchkincat wrote:
I recently divorced, sold my 1/2 of my house to my hubby, quit my job and moved to another city. I was looking for a job and along cane the virus and it’s a lot harder to find a job. I’ve always had insurance through my hubby’s work but needless to say I don’t have that anymore. I had insurance through the Marketplace for awhile but since I’m not working my tax credit was cancelled. If I wanted to keep what I had it would be $700 a month with an $8000 deductible. I worry about something happening and I have no insurance. Does anyone else not have insurance?

I was in your shoes for eleven years. Marketplace prices where I live are up well over a thousand a month with high deductibles and annual out of pockets. I just started getting Medicare. There are many fields where the persons working have to get their own insurance. 

Respected Contributor

@Munchkincat You should be able to purchase COBRA insurance through your ex-husband's insurer for up to 36 months after your divorce.  I'm not sure what the cost would be compared to the Marketplace, but you should check it out.  

Honored Contributor

@MunchkincatYou need to research ** your state** to determine which health insurance is available for folks in your situation. 

On its website there should be a section called Health & Wellness and/or Community Wellness or something similar worded.

Good luck!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Call his HR department to see if COBRA is an option. Even if expensive, you'll have peace of mind while looking into other options.