Esteemed Contributor

dRe: Does Everyone Have Insurance

[ Edited ]

When I was young I was "under employed in Sunny San Diego" and working as a bank teller, I had no insurance for two years (even when you are 31 and healthy this is terrifying).  My son, 31, is at Subway as an assistant manager and currently has no insurance (how can he afford it on less than 30 hrs a week? The only reason he has as semblance of life is that he lives with us and drives one of our cars).  Our country is 

massively under insured and hrly workers get no sick leave or annual leave (so many people hurting!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Everyone Have Insurance

I would check the  insurance website in your state. 

In some states people without insurance were given a window of time to select coverage. 

COBRA rates will be much higher than market place ones. 

Benefitcheckup.org is a place to find programs you may qualify. 

Respected Contributor

I went without health insurance for several years, I simply couldn't afford it. I explained my situation to my Dr & she referred me to a cash only clinic, the Dr I had there was excellent & the lab work was at cost. I did worry about something happening but I didn't have any other choice until I qualified for Medicare. I wish you all the best @Munchkincat.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14    I also have  a Christian Care insurance....MediShare...it was  great for me. For my age the monthly 'share' was under $400.00 month. 

It did not cover any well visits or any pre existing conditions, but when I went to the doctor I  paid cash and got a discount.  

Since DH and I are self employed (he is on Medicare) my insurnace soared to $1000.00/month 3 years ago, yikes!!  So glad I found an alternative, this is my last month of coverage thru Medishare, I have a birthday coming up and will be on Medicare.

Valued Contributor

Please check your local area hospital organizations to make sure they recognize Medishare (and others like them) as an insurance. 

It sounds like some posters here have had good luck with them, and I'm happy for them.

I do know though in our area the hospitals and their associated physicians do not accept Medishare; meaning they will not file any claims for you and they will not negotiate settlement of your bill with Medishare. You're registered as a self pay patient. You would however qualify for an uninsured discount, but you would get that anyway without Medishare or any insurance for that matter.

Also, if income is lower please ask about a hospital's financial assistance policy. Some call them charity programs, or indigent programs. It's usually based on household size and household income and follows the federal poverty level scale to varying degrees. Most discounts are good for a year, once you have gone through the application process. With some organizations that discount also applies to their physician network and can reduce what you have to  pay out of pocket at your appointments.

Every state is different though. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

MD's will take cash payment. The charge is less than what they charge your insurance. Ask your MD's office what the cash discount is.

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, been there!  I was unemployed during the downturn in '08. I paid my COBRA until it was no longer affordable.

I had asked around and found a local clinic that saw only sick people with very treatable illnesses twice per month by appt. I went for bronchitis. Only asked for a $5 donation. Antibiotics were free.  After that, I finally found a dr who saw people with no insurance for a cash discount. 

DS is out of work right now and out of insurance. He's healthy but my PCP will offer Teledoc to him at a discount.

Respected Contributor

Maybe, continuing insurance should have been something worked out by your divorce attorney.  Maybe, spousal support should have been something worked out by your divorce attorney.  Maybe, quitting your job was not the best choice you could have made.  You should have sought advice from a qualified counselor before you jumped ship.

If you don't have a job and don't have an income, you may have to apply for Medicaid.

Honored Contributor

@Munchkincat @I don't have any insurance advice.I ended paying a thousand a month until I qualified for Medicare.I think you should check different women's agencies for assistance.

You sure made a lot of changes in your life at once.I admire your bravery and I hope everything works out well for you.

Trusted Contributor

I agree that you should look into your state's Medicaid program.  My state also had a program for women without insurance that provided mammograms and gynecological exams 

I was one of those who fell "between the cracks" when medical insurance supposedly became mandatory.  Small employer who did not offer insurance and made too much to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to afford a regular policy.

Just qualified for Medicare this year in February.  After so many years of not having insurance, I still have not had a chance (due to Covid-19) to even use that.    Luckily I have always been healthy, except for a very few times where I just paid cash for a visit and antibiotics.