Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you temper your excitement?

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66  There aren't many females willing to take on the responsibilities of successful males. One of the nicest compliments I ever received was from a male counterpart who said, "You think like a man and it's a pleasure to work with you." I was only 19! But I went home, called my grandfather (who had taught me the same things your husband had taught you and your daughter) and thanked him for mentoring me! From that day forward, I knew anything was possible. That confidence remained unshakable when my husband passed away unexpected at such a young age. I was ready to take over the business, already ran the household and had raised our son. There was great shock, but no floundering for me, our family or business. Life went on as my husband would have expected it to do.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady @We could be friends.  I like strong females who know who they are and where they are going in life.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  We've talked about that several times before. I agree. We'd probably have an amazing friendship due to our independent, strong and pragmatic thinking! 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady Yes!  And let's just say we'd have some.....let's call them.....'spirited' discussions.  Ha!  I hate it when people put the word "Ha" after something....but when I re-read some of my posts, I worry (not here) that I come across as snarky....and I don't mean to be because I'm not that clever.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  You make me LOL . . . HA! Never snarky! (Had to put the "HA" in there.) Keep chatting away. You write so well on these boards. Hope you don't find that "HA"  snarky! Woman Wink  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

So nice of everyone to share their stories - it does help to know it's not just you!

For me, for awhile it was my son.  He'd get a job, then they layed him off.  Or they sold the company, or the company was moving out of state or dissolving.  It got to the point that when the phone rang, my DH and I were like What Now?  

Health:  Mom Dad and Brother are all gone from cancer.  DH had a Pet scan and 90
% sure it's lung cancer.  I just don't get excited one way or the other anymore.  When you've had loss and health problems and work problems or money problems, everyone has something.

I too practice gratitude.  My son could get another job, he wasn't paralyzed or had cancer.  Everyone is going to pass away, why are we so surprised when it happens?  

I think about the simple things - eating (my dad had esophagus cancer and couldn't eat for 6 months before he passed) - be grateful you can swallow!  A shower, I am grateful for hot water.  I have friends who are disabled (MS and one has a hard time walking) and I can still squat down on my haunches to pick something up off the floor (I'm 63).  The birds outside - they sing and they are beautiful - grateful for my sight.  

I no longer laugh loudly like I did when I was young, but a quiet acceptance has taken its place and you know, that's ok.  I have my husband and my dog and a job.  

PS Son is doing great now in a wonderful job he's had for over a year and they love him!  

There's always hope..................