Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember your first day of school?

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

A little bit.

I told my mom I was going to walk to school by myself around the corner.

She said ok but she secretly followed me.Heart

I thought I was cute was wearing red but that didn't go well because there was a rhyme :

Red red peed in the bed wipe it up with jelly bread!Smiley Embarassed

Oh this made me laugh @Pqfan, because my mom did the same exact thing. I remember my first day of school perfectly. We were living in Maryland and had just moved there because of my dads job. A town called Joppatowne. My school was walking distance and I wanted to walk so bad to school and was so excited for it. I begged my mom for weeks and weeks. The first day of school she drove me and walked me to my class which she always did. I had to beg her to stop doing that in middle school. Anyway she took me the first day but the second day and the rest, I walked to school by myself or so I thought. She just told me about ten years ago that she followed me everyday!

I pick up my granddaughter at middle school almost every day.  I sit in long line of cars waiting for the kids to come out.  Everyday there is a father who actually parks his car and walks up to the building and waits at the door for his son.  Then they walk together back to the car.  That is very sweet, but I wonder when that boy will tell dad to stop doing that.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

A little bit.

I thought I was cute was wearing red but that didn't go well because there was a rhyme :

@Pqfan that was my mom . . . when we would discuss our childhoods, my friends were always amazed that I could always count on my mom to be waiting for me to come home from school.  I just knew she would be standing in the door . . . Heart

And ps, shame on them for that terrible rhyme as red is my favorite color and I bet you looked fabulous!

My mom was the same @momtochloe. She always took me to the first day of school and I had to beg her to stop when I was in 7th grade. I do remember secretly missing her that day though. She would always put sweet little notes in my lunch box too I remember. Even when I got in high school she did that. We were lucky my friend, that is for sure!

@Irshgrl31201 there isn't a day that goes by that I don't realize that knowing my mom was always there for me when I was young was a blessing.  We didn't have lunch at school as I was able to go home so I always knew a hot lunch was waiting for me along with my mom waiting at the door.  I was truly blessed to have such a stable and loving environment to grow up in and I appreciate it to this very day . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

Ok seriously, although I realize this is off topic from the original intent of the thread is no one going to call me out on corduroy hot pants and a qiana shirt? . . . tee hee!

Good heavens I loved that outfit . . . Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

OMG yes.  I remeber this vividly.  On the first day of Kindergarten my mom dropped me off and I began to bawl.  The kindergarten teacher leaned down, face right in mine, and said, "If you don't stop crying, you're going to make yourself sick."  

Which of course made me cry even harder.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, but I clearly remember the day before the first day.

We always ate at my grandparents on Sundays.  I remember my grandfather put his hand on mine and squeezed it and said "Tomorrow is your first day of school!"

My heart sank into my stomach, it was something I was dreading since probably the day I was born...lol.

I did not like school.  I hated every day of it.  I couldn't wait till the weekend.  I couldn't wait till summer vacation.  I couldn't wait to get out of high school. 

I still hate it.  *Back to school* ads make me nauseous--to this day.

I hid it from everyone while I was in school and I hid it from my own kids while they were in school.  I owned up to it to them after they were adults.  (My husband knew all along as we were dating while I was in HS.) 

My kids loved school!  Their kids love school!

When I told my parents a few years back that I'd hated school, my dad said he did too.  And then he said 'to this day' *back to school* ads still make him nauseous.

Thud.

Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

A little bit.

Oh this made me laugh @Pqfan, because my mom did the same exact thing. I remember my first day of school perfectly. We were living in Maryland and had just moved there because of my dads job. A town called Joppatowne. My school was walking distance and I wanted to walk so bad to school and was so excited for it. I begged my mom for weeks and weeks. The first day of school she drove me and walked me to my class which she always did. I had to beg her to stop doing that in middle school. Anyway she took me the first day but the second day and the rest, I walked to school by myself or so I thought. She just told me about ten years ago that she followed me everyday!

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

A little bit.

@Irshgrl31201 Aww! So sweet! Heart

Regular Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

We always ate at my grandparents on Sundays.  I remember my grandfather put his hand on mine and squeezed it and said "Tomorrow is your first day of school!"

My heart sank into my stomach, it was something I was dreading since probably the day I was born...lol.

I did not like school.  I hated every day of it.  I couldn't wait till the weekend.  I couldn't wait till summer vacation.  I couldn't wait to get out of high school. 

I hid it from everyone while I was in school and I hid it from my own kids while they were in school.  I owned up to it to them after they were adults.  (My husband knew all along as we were dating while I was in HS.) 

When I told my parents a few years back that I'd hated school, my dad said he did too.  And then he said 'to this day' *back to school* ads still make him nauseous.

Thud.

Ha ha, me too.  I never really liked school and disliked it more the older I got.  Funny thing was, I got very good grades and liked to learn.  I just hated the format of the school day and even the smell of the place.

Honored Contributor

@clangle wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Thud.

Ha ha, me too.  I never really liked school and disliked it more the older I got.  Funny thing was, I got very good grades and liked to learn.  I just hated the format of the school day and even the smell of the place.

I hated getting up early.  I still love to sleep until I'm ready to get up!

I also disliked the fact that none of my brothers and sisters went to school with me.  They were older and all went to  school together. 

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Ok seriously, although I realize this is off topic from the original intent of the thread is no one going to call me out on corduroy hot pants and a qiana shirt? . . . tee hee!

Good heavens I loved that outfit . . . Smiley Happy

@momtochloe This is so funny.   I did have hot pants, light blue, a gift from family on a tour of Europe.  I wore the heck out of those things -- LOVED them.

Trusted Contributor

This has been an awesome thread, just love reading the stories of our younger days.  Thanks ladies!!