Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember your first day of school?

First grade - September 1948 ... all I can recall is standing at the gate at the school yard entry with my mother and a neighbor from across the street ... her son and I were going to be starting first grade together.  

In those days - no official pre-school or kindergarten in parochial schools in our area.  We learned basics at home.

I was crying and our mothers told us to hold hands and go into the school yard together.  I recall like it was yesterday, not 68 years ago!

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny,

I HATED the game Red Rover!   Because I was the tiniest, I was always chosen last for a team, and chosen first to run, because I was the least likely to break thru.  

Frequent Contributor

My first day of school was regular first grade. My Mother didn't have any use for Kindergarten. My friends went and I was taught to read and print at home. I just started to learn cursive when first grade came around.

I got to go this time but there wasn't much to do. I think I was in that class about a month. Don't remember much more except Mother had to come to School and I ended up in second grade.

It wasn't until I had my own children that I realized how much I had missed.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Respected Contributor

Redtop, it terrified me that big kids were plowing into me. I would let go immediately.

In college PE was still mandatory. I played a semester of beach volley ball. I was trompled each session.