Respected Contributor

Re: Do you remember your first day of school?

@momtochloe wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

A little bit.

I told my mom I was going to walk to school by myself around the corner.

She said ok but she secretly followed me.Heart

I thought I was cute was wearing red but that didn't go well because there was a rhyme :

Red red peed in the bed wipe it up with jelly bread!Smiley Embarassed

@Pqfan that was my mom . . . when we would discuss our childhoods, my friends were always amazed that I could always count on my mom to be waiting for me to come home from school.  I just knew she would be standing in the door . . . Heart

And ps, shame on them for that terrible rhyme as red is my favorite color and I bet you looked fabulous!

@momtochloeAww you were lucky my mom was at work when I came home but my wicked witch baby sitter and her evil german shepard were there to greet me.

I did look cute with my red pleather vest and matching pleather skirt with red tights LOL! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Not the very first day.  I do remember that because my birthday is later in the year I originally had to stay back a year but they were going to let me start with the other kids.  My Dad said, "No" for some reason.  But I had the last laugh because in high school I skipped my Junior year...He died the year before, but I think he'd have been proud of me.

I do remember that school started in September and when I went school shopping all of my clothes were winter clothes.  In Va often September gets pretty hot.  I remember wearing hot wool clothes and sweating so much during the month of September.  I had to walk to school back then.  It was a long way.  I remember one time walking in the snow and sliding down (not into just downward) into one of those ditches for water to run off into.  Between my puffy winter clothes and I was built like a mack truck back then (even in elementary school) not real fat just (like grandma used to say, "You got some good MEAT on you".  Ha) there wasn't much chance of my falling all the way into the drain!  I did get soaked though.

Many of my birthdays were canceled because back then we got lots of snow.  That's why I made sure all of my children were born in the summer (this is for real).

I remember once I wore wool culottes (remember those, they were like a skirt but had a  crotch like pants).  I was called into the office and they were going to make me go home and change because you weren't allowed to wear pants to school back then.  This was public school.  I said there was no one home (I lied) and they let me stay.  Wow!  How times have changed!  I can't believe some of the things kids are allowed to wear today!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Not the first day of school, but in Chicago we walked to CCD (Catholic) on Wednesdays (how do I remember that?) 

@Mary Bailey - I remember kids getting to leave school early on Wednesdays too, to attend their religious class.  LOL, my girlfriend attended the Nazarene church that was at the end of my block.  I wasn't raised Nazarene, but my grandparents and a couple other relatives attended Nazarene churches so I figured it was "OK" for me to go.  Without any kind of note from my parents, I very matter of factly told the teacher that I was going with my friend to her catechism class (or whatever it was called) and there was no issue.  The teacher just let me leave!  I think we were in 3rd or 4th grade at the time.  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I sure do remember culottes. Our school didn't allow them, either. I bought a pr of them ,and the front of them buttoned  so you couldn't tell  it was split. Of course the back was a different story. But I wore them to school, thinking I was really doing something daring, and it felt good to think I got away with it

Lots of the rules we had were dumb

Respected Contributor

I barely remember what I ate for dinner yesterday!

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

A little bit.

I thought I was cute was wearing red but that didn't go well because there was a rhyme :

@Pqfan that was my mom . . . when we would discuss our childhoods, my friends were always amazed that I could always count on my mom to be waiting for me to come home from school.  I just knew she would be standing in the door . . . Heart

And ps, shame on them for that terrible rhyme as red is my favorite color and I bet you looked fabulous!

@momtochloeAww you were lucky my mom was at work when I came home but my wicked witch baby sitter and her evil german shepard were there to greet me.

I did look cute with my red pleather vest and matching pleather skirt with red tights LOL! Smiley Very Happy

@Pqfan I was very lucky . . . I know my mom was like that with my older siblings, her children and family were just everything to her.

And I so wish I could convey to you what the word "pleather" means to me as it encompasses one of the funniest moments of my life and also one of the most endearing . . . I just know you looked fabulous my friend!

Your outfit reminds me of one of my first day of school outfits which consisted of brown suede platform shoes with studs, purple tights, navy blue corduroy hot pants embroidered with bees and then to match the tights a lovely quiana stretch knit top . . . ah, good times . . . Heart

Trusted Contributor

Good golly ladies - you have some memories.  I remember some of my teachers. I remember staying in one day for recess, got caught, had to go outside for twice the amount of time.  It was darn cold and I had tights on, no pants.  Didn't try that again. LOL 

Honored Contributor

I remember my first day of school in September 1960.  No kindergarten back then, so I went to first grade.  I went to Catholic school and wore a uniform.

The summer before I started school I had to be fitted for my uniform.  All of the kids, boys and girls were in the same room.  I was horrified to be standing in my slip while some lady measured me.

My mom took me to school and she ran into a friend of hers who also had a first grader.  The other child was a girl and I remember my mom pointing to the girl who was wearing a red sweater and asking me to go and talk to her.  She was pointing, but I couldn't find the girl with the red sweater.  The bell rang and my mother told me to get into the line.  I did and went inside,

I remember the classroom and where I was seated and who was seated next to me,  I remember it like it was yesterday.  I remember my last day of school in the first grade too.  I came home with measles!

I have an unusually great memory of my very early childhood.  My mother told me I spoke way before my first birthday.  I remember a man who owed a shop in town giving me a bunny nightlight because he asked my name and I answered him before my mother had a chance.  My mother said I was 11 months old at the time.  I guess I impressed him. HIs name was Mr. Goldman.

I remember staying with my aunt for the week after my brother was born,  I was 23 months old when he was born.  I can go on and on, but I'll have mercy on you and won't.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

A little bit.

Oh this made me laugh @Pqfan, because my mom did the same exact thing. I remember my first day of school perfectly. We were living in Maryland and had just moved there because of my dads job. A town called Joppatowne. My school was walking distance and I wanted to walk so bad to school and was so excited for it. I begged my mom for weeks and weeks. The first day of school she drove me and walked me to my class which she always did. I had to beg her to stop doing that in middle school. Anyway she took me the first day but the second day and the rest, I walked to school by myself or so I thought. She just told me about ten years ago that she followed me everyday!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

A little bit.

My mom was the same @momtochloe. She always took me to the first day of school and I had to beg her to stop when I was in 7th grade. I do remember secretly missing her that day though. She would always put sweet little notes in my lunch box too I remember. Even when I got in high school she did that. We were lucky my friend, that is for sure!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK