Honored Contributor

I am sure that there is plenty of people helping but just not one on one.Think about where do they house and feed all of these aid people...all available space is used by the victims.I am sure there is much more to this whole process than we can fathom unless we have participated.

Super Contributor

Houston has every possible rescue vehicle working....additionally the coast guard has brought in at least10-16 evacation choppers. State national guard has descended in incredibly large vehicles and additional choppers. National Guard is on the way from many other states as far as Massachusetts, Kentucky, Utah and others. They and the HPD, HFD, 911, Flood district officials, Army Corp of Engineers and citizens from houston,  other non affected areas in Texas, Louisiana and other states with rescue all over the Houston area and Harris County. Hundreds of others are  helping in the surrounding counties. Can't even begin to express my gratitude. It is exraordinary. This will take years to recover.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you realize

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@goldensrbest, posters keep showing you the facts, yet you keep saying the same thing. I don't understand that.

@suzyQ3:  I don't think you gave her the answer she wants to hear.  So, she keeps asking until she gets the right answer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Snowpuppy, you might find this article interesting.  A similar, but thankfully not as severe, event happened in Florida during an evacuation order.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/28/546721363/why-didn-t-officials-order-the-evacuatio...

Marp, interesting photo & article. Personally, if someone predicts a hurricane, I'd be gone. Hurricane evac routes mean all lanes of a highway head one direction, to safety.

Honored Contributor

@dexSo true -  the magnitude of need for rescue and recovery following these huge natural disasters makes even the good government programs feel like the proverbial drop in the bucket.

Besides, the stories that make the best news are the heart string tales and those are not usually government employees passing out water and blankets and food or setting up shelters for displaced people and animals.

It's my understanding that FEMA was in Houston even before the storm actually hit, but FEMA isn't able to stop disaster.  Nor do I think there's any way we can expect government to be THE ONLY when it comes to rescue and or recovery as the days and weeks go on.  On the street where I live right now, the rebuilding because of Sandy is still in progress -  it takes a long time to build a whole neighborhood.  Houston will be rebuilding for years.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Where is the help from our goverment? Boats, helicopters.

Watch the news....there is help for the victims....many should have left when the warnings went out, they chose to stay......

Honored Contributor

There is no answer to this.  When these things happen ... everyone and everything is moving as fast as they can to help. 

You can't expect to cover everything at one time.  Phone lines are going nuts, people in charge are trying to decide what to do and who and what to deploy.  People are trying to take care of their families before going out to help others. 

Care will come.  From everywhere.  Takes time for them to get there.  They are coming, but they are fighting the same thing as you.

The problem,  sometimes is the infrastuctures in some areas, but no one wants to address that.  No one wants to pay to fix that because it means more taxes. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

The right to self-determination!  Go or stay.  I would've bugged out.  I have a family and dogs.  

We were in FL when Fran was about to hit.  Husband had work there and we tagged a long.  As soon as we saw the weather report....outta there in the middle of the night.  We met a lot of great people in the mass traffic exodus .....Atlanta welcomed us with open arms!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@dexSo true -  the magnitude of need for rescue and recovery following these huge natural disasters makes even the good government programs feel like the proverbial drop in the bucket.

Besides, the stories that make the best news are the heart string tales and those are not usually government employees passing out water and blankets and food or setting up shelters for displaced people and animals.

It's my understanding that FEMA was in Houston even before the storm actually hit, but FEMA isn't able to stop disaster.  Nor do I think there's any way we can expect government to be THE ONLY when it comes to rescue and or recovery as the days and weeks go on.  On the street where I live right now, the rebuilding because of Sandy is still in progress -  it takes a long time to build a whole neighborhood.  Houston will be rebuilding for years.

@millieshops, that is so true.  I don't think people realize how long it takes to rebuild a neighborhood let alone an entire community.  Katrina hit NOLA 12 years ago tomorrow and they are still rebuilding.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Where is the help from our goverment? Boats, helicopters.

@goldensrbest  You really need to pay attention to your news.  There a multiple posts here already about this issue. 

Please do not try to back door a political issue.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh