Honored Contributor

Do you fall for this gimmick?

QVC shows a price of $59.98....instead of $60.00.....

Do you by more when they do this? I guess the psychology of the mind seeing "less than"  sells more... like 99 cents instead of a $1.00.

personally I do not.  I see the REAL price. I would only buy it IF I really wanted it...or felt the price was a good fair price.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you fall for this gimmick?

Well, everybody - and I mean everybody - does this. It might even seem odd if they DIDN"T do that......It's been done forever - by every retailer. 

Esteemed Contributor

QVC  is not the only place that does this. Look around you. It's everywhere. From the grocery store to the gas station.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Every retailer since the dawn of time has done that, it's not just QVC.

Every store I've ever gone into has prices like $49.99, $19.99 or, if they're being generous, $14.95.  It's nothing new.

It's a well-known psychological tactic.  Me?  I've always rounded up and added tax!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

QVC  is not the only place that does this. Look around you. It's everywhere. From the grocery store to the gas station.

@Venezia  @Anonymous032819  Yes, I know this....but QVC does it A LOT

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden - Every retailer does it all the time!  Do you know of any that don't?  I certainly don't know any retailer that only sells items with even-amount prices.  Not even in the grocery store.

Honored Contributor

I'm old and in all my years, I've always seen it this way all the time from all retailers.  Which ones don't do it this way?  

Honored Contributor

I don't feel it's a gimmick at all, and as the others said, it's not something just QVC does.  So every store and everwhere I shop I see it, so I don't give it a second thought.

Honored Contributor

Prices ending in 99 cents are powerful because we are conditioned to think 99 cents is a bargain, no matter how small the saving.  It's interesting that people don't perceive much difference in value between items priced at $20 and $25. But drop the price by one penny, and they perceive great difference between $19.99 and $24.99.

The power of the number "9" isn't confined to the cents column, either.

One American clothing retailer experimented by changing the price of a dress from $34 to $39 dollars and increased sales by over 30%.  Meaning – higher prices ending in a "9" will actually outperform lower prices – on the very same product.

The alluring thing about 99-cent pricing is that it feels like a sale price.  It's a game stores have played with us for decades.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I want something, I will buy it... 59.98 or $50, it doesn't make a difference.  I have seen this type of pricing all of my life.  I have probably saved qjuite a few pennies by now and they add up.

What really gets me is gas prices.  $3.00 9/10 a gallon.  I can't figure why they go to all the bother to save us 1/10 of a cent.  So, big whoop..we save 1 penny for every 10 gallons we buy.  I wonder what happens if we buy exactly one gallon..do we get change?