Respected Contributor

Thanks, @candys mine.  I can't say this makes too much sense to me, especially given your agreement that it's not always healthy to love without expectations or whatever it was.  In an ideal world people could do that, but that's not reality.  One can't pretend that we can just always have positive emotions and always give love.  Anyway, I don't want to start something like I did on the thread about Forgiveness Day.

Respected Contributor

@@Ms X That's the idea,  as you said" in an Ideal world".  That is what the saying is aiming for.  It is not easy and sometimes not possible to live by that saying in "The Real World"  but you can be helpful, cheerful and positive to those around you and notice the thankfulness/good feeling  you may find in simple things like a walking under a shady tree or hearing birdsong or even a moment of quiet. That is an expression of the "Love" in the saying.   Kind of a "Pay it Forward" thing.

Super Contributor

Good advice, but I could never do it. The world is too frantic and dangerous these days

tea

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you agree with this?

[ Edited ]

@candys mine wrote:

@@Ms X That's the idea,  as you said" in an Ideal world".  That is what the saying is aiming for.  It is not easy and sometimes not possible to live by that saying in "The Real World"  but you can be helpful, cheerful and positive to those around you and notice the thankfulness/good feeling  you may find in simple things like a walking under a shady tree or hearing birdsong or even a moment of quiet. That is an expression of the "Love" in the saying.   Kind of a "Pay it Forward" thing.

Thank you, @candys mine.  I think there's much to what you say as long as people face the reality that one has to draw a line with some people in real life.  This will be my last post, as I don't want to belabor the point, but I worry that pronouncements like this can be misunderstood to the point that people feel they are to blame if they are mistreated or feel that they must always be "loving" or they are the problem.

Honored Contributor

Sure, if it means eat a half of a pan of lasagna.

Respected Contributor

Forgive me if I missed it, but what about kindness? I kind of believe that what goes around, comes around, so, I truly believe in the power of kindness. However, if I had to cut my favorite foods in half, it would feel like an eternity until I ate my favorite foods again! Thus, it would feel like I was living longer!😉

Never underestimate the power of kindness.