Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Know the Answer to This Kindergarten Homework Assignment?

Hmmm... I'm going to say what my teachers used to tell us: " I can't grade your work if I don't know who did it: this student is getting a zero!"

Remember the less kinder and gentler times?

....honestly, I thought about "Hutch" or "lavatories" or "pets"

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

This no more puzzling than the math problems I had to solve that always involved trains headed for each other going different speeds in different time zones with irrelevant numbers of passengers and I had figure out the exact time they would collide in Wichita. I have never had to solve this problem, not even once, in real life, but it was in every darn homework assignment and critical math exam in grades 4, 5, and 6. Maybe that accounts for the decline in passenger rail.

Honored Contributor

Like that guy. Arnold Horseshack on Welcome Back Kotter -- OOOh OOOH  'Thumper'!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

sticking with the T theme, i dont find this a TRAVESTY if the teacher reminds the students that the T sound may not necessarily come at the beginning of the word. it will just make them think a bit harder......and we already came up with at least two words that have a T that fit that picture.....maybe there are more?

The directions should say that.  When there are 3 pictures (out of 4) clearly with T as the beginning letter,  the last word probably should be the same. Also, there is no vet in the last picture, just animals (would be pets).

When was this assignment originally printed?

it is kindergarten......i am not even sure that most of the kids could read the directions, so it is the responsibility of the teacher to read them out loud and clarify as necessary. i think VET would be a stretch, but PET could probably be figured out.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

sticking with the T theme, i dont find this a TRAVESTY if the teacher reminds the students that the T sound may not necessarily come at the beginning of the word. it will just make them think a bit harder......and we already came up with at least two words that have a T that fit that picture.....maybe there are more?

The directions should say that.  When there are 3 pictures (out of 4) clearly with T as the beginning letter,  the last word probably should be the same. Also, there is no vet in the last picture, just animals (would be pets).

it is kindergarten......i am not even sure that most of the kids could read the directions, so it is the responsibility of the teacher to read them out loud and clarify as necessary. i think VET would be a stretch, but PET could probably be figured out.

Yes, K teachers do explain each assignment. Most teachers would have seen the problem with that picture. There is no vet in the picture, and would have skipped it or gave the answer... How if it was homework?

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

Yes, K teachers do explain each assignment. Most teachers would have seen the problem with that picture. There is no vet in the picture, and would have skipped it or gave the answer... How if it was homework?

i dont know the answer to that, but i am hoping that the teacher would have said something to the students......or written about it online for the parents to see.....or do both. the other option would be to do it in class. not sure how the OP knew it was homework.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

found the original article......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kindergarten-homework-question-stumps-parents_us_58f54523e4b0b9e...

Honored Contributor

The article says it was take-home work. The second worksheet is even worse.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1,

I just got on, looking for a notification, then had seen THIS on the screen page, studied the puzzle and immediately coded out (don't laugh if incorrectly put together): i came up with

VET.

I had the 2nd highest in our SATs/high school, so my mind does work work quite differently than most, as in puzzles. 

If incorrect,then I will wait until later, or when you divulge the equation. 

NAES

Respected Contributor

two

tapping out an answer is similar to clapping out syllables in 2nd grade. I would use that to teach 7th graders to pronounce names like 'Taklimakan', etc. in Eastern Hemisphere Social Studies.