Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Know the Answer to This Kindergarten Homework Assignment?

The other day I was going through a box of old things and I found a handwriting book that belonged to my older brother and had been passed down to me.  It had to be from the 1960's.  It has similar examples where the pictures aren't so easy to determine what was supposed to be written on the lines, so this in the OP isn't anything new.  On the "p" page of our book is a picture of a top, for example.  It provided practice for letters that were at the middle and end of the word, as well as the beginning.  

Since this homework in the OP was for the letter "t," my guess is there have been other similar pages as activities for class and/or homework.  (The article mentioned confusing pictures for the letter "k.")   In a world of online standardized testing and Common Core that phased out handwriting practice, I say kudos to the teacher for even assigning handwriting activities.  Around here our kindergarten teachers tend to focus more on alphabet, numbers, reading, and math because that's where the accountability lies.  I've heard lots of local parents complain about the way handwriting has been phased out and I've even posted here in a previous thread about one of my former co-workers, a middle school teacher, who freaked out every time someone wrote in cursive because she couldn't read it.  

I guess what bugs me about the hoopla created by this parent and Huffington Post is that some people seem to have seen this as an opportunity to bash teachers, public schools, and/or curriculum.  As I previously posted, the teacher in the OP accepted the child's response ("pet") as correct, and in the end the assignment got the brain juices flowing and the child practicing penmanship.  

Now more than ever our public school teachers need our support. If I could, I'd take that kindergarten teacher in the OP to lunch.  I think the biggest wrong here is that the parent went to social media instead of addressing questions/concerns directly to the teacher.  Shame on the Huffington Post for giving that parent a one-sided stage and bolstering her confidence to launch a future complaint in the public arena. 

Respected Contributor

OMG, don't tell me I am flunking Kindergarten!!!!

Honored Contributor

tot

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

The other day I was going through a box of old things and I found a handwriting book that belonged to my older brother and had been passed down to me.  It had to be from the 1960's.  It has similar examples where the pictures aren't so easy to determine what was supposed to be written on the lines, so this in the OP isn't anything new.  On the "p" page of our book is a picture of a top, for example.  It provided practice for letters that were at the middle and end of the word, as well as the beginning.  

Since this homework in the OP was for the letter "t," my guess is there have been other similar pages as activities for class and/or homework.  (The article mentioned confusing pictures for the letter "k.")   In a world of online standardized testing and Common Core that phased out handwriting practice, I say kudos to the teacher for even assigning handwriting activities.  Around here our kindergarten teachers tend to focus more on alphabet, numbers, reading, and math because that's where the accountability lies.  I've heard lots of local parents complain about the way handwriting has been phased out and I've even posted here in a previous thread about one of my former co-workers, a middle school teacher, who freaked out every time someone wrote in cursive because she couldn't read it.  

I guess what bugs me about the hoopla created by this parent and Huffington Post is that some people seem to have seen this as an opportunity to bash teachers, public schools, and/or curriculum.  As I previously posted, the teacher in the OP accepted the child's response ("pet") as correct, and in the end the assignment got the brain juices flowing and the child practicing penmanship.  

Now more than ever our public school teachers need our support. If I could, I'd take that kindergarten teacher in the OP to lunch.  I think the biggest wrong here is that the parent went to social media instead of addressing questions/concerns directly to the teacher.  Shame on the Huffington Post for giving that parent a one-sided stage and bolstering her confidence to launch a future complaint in the public arena. 

Amen, sista!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would have answered pet. I guess the child didn't get marked down for that because it is the equivalent of getting a participation trophy.  As a parent I would want to know what the correct answer was directly from the teacher and the logic behind it. Was the correct answer vet because that's where you take your take your pets to get them spayed or neutered? 

Honored Contributor

I agree with "two" or twins.  I believe "two" would be the answer because "twins" involves more understanding for a young mind.

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan  As a veteran teacher, thank you for your post.Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

tiny (bunnies)  ?????????????

Where is @PurpleBunny  when we need her? Cat Wink

Baby bunnies are kittens or kits. But I don't know if that's what they want???

Oh nevermind, I didn't get the "t" bit. Lol. 

@PurpleBunny

PurpleBunny that IS a good answer the letter "t" can be anywhere in the word! So good job!!  Unfortunately I googled it and I like your answer better than what they consider the supposedly correct one..................Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

two

tapping out an answer is similar to clapping out syllables in 2nd grade. I would use that to teach 7th graders to pronounce names like 'Taklimakan', etc. in Eastern Hemisphere Social Studies.

I still tap out counting on my fingers---is that the same?Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I must have a reading comprehension problem--I'm not seeing where the correct answer is!

Is it vet?

If it is vet, it should have a pic of a person in a lab coat, or a long line waiting at the front counter, or at the very least a Glade plug in---in the outlet.