Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Married For Money?

Nope.  Just know two women who married to have children. They were both in emotionally abusive marriages, but they got their children.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I did know a girl that married her husband just for his money. She changed to his faith which cut her off from many of her friends. her wedding was held at his parents house down in Florida none of her friends could make it to the wedding. she had 3 kids from 1st marriage and was living hand to mouth with the 3 kids in fact i believe she was homeless for awhile with the 3 kids, she latched onto him and wouldn't let go. He was very wealthy and owned a string of stores up and down east coast. they did live in a fancy home with plenty of nannies,house help. last word i heard she and he split up, it was a love hate relationship from little bit i heard. they moved away am not sure as to where, but most likely it was down south to be closer to his family.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I think everyone to a degree marries for money.  You wouldn't marry gutter bum.  No.... becasue your children deserve better.  You might want to marry someone who is succesful and always employed.  So in the back of everyone's mind yeah....you marry for security most of all.  You can love a lot of people but not hitch your star to any Tom, ****** or Harry. Your children always  deserves better.

@songbird, this a few other posts have a '50s ring to them. Women today are more often than not quite capable of being independent financially, which allows them to enjoy someone for who he is and not so much for his success.

Money can come and can go for either one of you. Better to marry a person you love and trust and with whom you are totally comfortable being yourself.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

My bff stays married because of his money...I don't judge...people live their own lives...DW

Honored Contributor

Close friends of ours were divorced and the former wife married the divorce lawyer. Actually she was having an affair with him before they decided on a divorce. She was beautiful and he was a greasy, slimy lawyer from a very wealthy prominent family in our town. She had a family with him, but he was not faithful to her and she died young of cancer. Her former husband remarried and to my knowledge he is still married.

Respected Contributor

I would like to approach this topic from a different perspective.

We were born into old, REAL MONEY.......We ( my siblings, cousins, etc.) inherited REAL MONEY and we all earned a great deal of money. The entire family was programmed, practically from birth, that caution was always in order if we "strayed" from our own social group and we instilled the same ideas into our children and grands. I've not given it much thought over the 

years but realize that my approach to living is very influenced by those early teachings.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a friend from h.s. who was pushed by her mother to marry a man because of his social standing/old money.

This friend was a beauty.  She went out of state for university, and she knew this young man only slightly.

After graduation, she moved to NYC and worked in an important office job with Air France.

While walking in NYC, she ran into this former acquaintence from university days.

He courted her to the max:  sent her flowers, called constantly, bought her expenisve gifts.He proposed to her after a few months.

When she casually told her mother about it, her mother really approved and wanted her daughter to marry this man.

I visited them shortly after the marriage while they were living in NYC.  She confided the whole story, and said she never loved this man, etc., etc.....

After 5 years and one child, she divorced him. 

She moved back to CA and began a new career.  About three years later, she married someone she loved.  He has been successful in another field, but he was self-made and did not come from a status family with old money.

She had married the first time for security, money, status, but her mother was the person who pushed her....

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I don’t know if it already been mentioned, but  there’s an old saying: It’s as easy to fall in love with a rich man as a poor one.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I have two friends whose second marriages were to very wealthy younger men.  One lasted, one didn't.  

Honored Contributor

If both parties get what they want I see nothing wrong with it.  

Look at Anna Nicole Smith. She was a  26 year old stripper and a 89  year old Billionaire took a liking to her and they married. It worked for both of them... He enjoyed her company...Anna enjoyed a great lifestyle. Their marriage did not last( only 13 months) as he died..... that is what can  happen when you marry someone 63 years your senior!

5DC8F8C1-692C-4676-841C-6AB5437C5A2C.jpeg