Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Married For Money?

My husband had a friend who married for money. He seemed quite miserable every time we saw him. Money was everything to him. I felt bad for his wife. Men can marry for money to. Just a twist on the question.

Respected Contributor

Not sure because like someone said they probably would not admit it.  I do think that someone who is successful, ambitious, and has accumulated wealth would be attractive because of the qualities is takes to accomplish that.  I think if someone just inherited wealth and was basically a loser with money that would not be attractive.  Also a person who has money could make your life much more comfortable and fun.  Having said that it would be nice to find that and be in love at the same time. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think I did.  Or I should say going back to primitve reasons to find a  partner, women are looking for providers.  Men for whatever ( home like benefits). 

I have three college degrees but it was said gals of my generation were really looking for the M.R.S degree and I am totally guilty and proud of my decision.

Hubby, my best friend, and I in return have done right by each other.  After over 50 years we are still deeply in love and moving forward to what our future has to offer.  And yes, I have had a very comfortable life, and hope it can continue. After all QVC needs customers who can continue to buy and pay the bill.  

Valued Contributor

My MIL ...

left her family (my DH was age 6) when she left to run off with a "man of means in the community."    My DH still suffers to this day by her actions.   His Dad raise three kids by himself.  He is no longer with us as he took his own life....I blame it on the stress he had to endure thoughout raising the kids. 

I wish people would think about others before themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

Social status (to a degree-- i.e. college degree) was an essential in my search for husband.  That's what I came from and what I expected/demanded!  I dated a lot (got married at 40) so there are a couple of great (at that time under educated) guys that I dismissed.  I married a great guy who fit my "profile" and I'm happy.  Btw two serious "contenders" ended up doing just fine (one was a successful lawyer and other A.F. officer with M.B.A.).

Honored Contributor

p.s. to my previous post yesterday:

What I'm not crazy about are some young women who seem to financially 'carry' their boyfriends.

I see it all around here: Nice looking young women, driving their boyfriends around, etc., etc.  Seems like a 'trend'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s. to my previous post yesterday:

What I'm not crazy about are some young women who seem to financially 'carry' their boyfriends.

I see it all around here: Nice looking young women, driving their boyfriends around, etc., etc.  Seems like a 'trend'.

@ROMARY, maybe I'm missing something here, but what exactly is wrong with women doing what men have been doing for eons?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

SuzyQ3:

Actually, I'm not the most observant person in the world; it's the comments from male (friends and neighbors) who alerted us. Then, I began to notice.

I do believe that it's the way that some of the male passengers sit (laying way back in a semi-reclining position).  Sort of an 'entitled' stance. 

It's ironic that the men (around here) seem to be noticing this trend in that particular age group.  Well, noticing it enough to mention it.  They are fathers, so maybe that's the reason.

'It's all neither here nor there', so to speak.

Just simple conversation about 'this and that'. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

yes, i know a number of women ,mostly older (70 plus) who married for status and money.....and to be take care of. most of them eventually grew to love their husbands. they are not originally from the usa though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

Does it count if people STAY in the marriage for money? If so, I know a few.

i definitely know more than  a few......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein