Trusted Contributor

Disappearing Without a Trace

I wanted to recommend a podcast and a book to you all. Jennifer Kesse:Unconcluded examines the disappearance of Jennifer Kesse, a 24 year-old Florida woman who went missing in 2006. This case is heartbreaking because she vanished in the middle of broad daylight and there haven't been any reliable leads. 

Without a Trace: The Disappearance of Amy Billig--A Mother's Search for Justice is a great book about a mother's unending search for her daughter until her dying day. Amy disappeared during the day as well. 

Do any of you take an interest in true crime? Have you been touched by it? My good friend Richard's great-grandfather disappeared in the middle of snowstorm back in the 1940s. There is no foul-play suspected--he may have simply met an untimely death during very inclement weather. 

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: Disappearing Without a Trace

I hate these TV programs on unresolved disappearances.  After watch an hour of a search, I want a conclusion, either happy or sad.  I won't even watch them anymore...it's a waste of time when there's no outcome.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A friend of my husband married a woman whose first husband left to buy cigarettes and never came back.  Since she suspected him of dealing illegal drugs, she figures he owed the wrong person money and met his demise.  The police never solved the mystery of his disappearance, so she had him declared legally dead and collected on a life insurance policy.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  •  

@Kachina624

I'm with you on this one. If I spend time reading a book, be it novel/historical or present day factually based, I want a beginning and a "conclusive ending. Same applies to Mystery TV Shows, not necessarily in 1 episode, but not spread out for 12 weeks.

Now if I am interested in "ongoing" fact or fiction, I'll watch the Soaps with my wife. Novels with no conclusion are bad enough, but factually based stories. Just not my thing. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@JBKO

I can’t imagine how the relatives feel when someone just disappears. You want answers...

The person disappearing in the snow storm reminded me of the Swiss couple that was just found in a glacier. They had been missing for 75 years. They went out to check on their cows & never returned. They were found laying side by side preserved in a glacier. 

Respected Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I wanted to recommend a podcast and a book to you all. Jennifer Kesse:Unconcluded examines the disappearance of Jennifer Kesse, a 24 year-old Florida woman who went missing in 2006. This case is heartbreaking because she vanished in the middle of broad daylight and there haven't been any reliable leads. 

Without a Trace: The Disappearance of Amy Billig--A Mother's Search for Justice is a great book about a mother's unending search for her daughter until her dying day. Amy disappeared during the day as well. 

Do any of you take an interest in true crime? Have you been touched by it? My good friend Richard's great-grandfather disappeared in the middle of snowstorm back in the 1940s. There is no foul-play suspected--he may have simply met an untimely death during very inclement weather. 

If there's no foul-play suspect, it's not true crime. It's an unsolved mystery, which isn't the same as true crime but it feels just as awful. I have a cousin who disappeared while he was out SCUBA diving with a friend. They got separated and my cousin was never seen again and no body was ever recovered. No one suspected his friend of any wrong-doing. No one believes there was a crime. But it is a very painful unsolved mystery and I know how your friend's family feels because there's no resolution and nothing but questions. I don't remember my father crying much in my life, but I remember his anguished crying when his sister called to tell him. It was awful. To this day I am more cautious about my own actions because I can't bear the idea of my father losing me like that.

Someone who would have been a great-great-aunt to me was found dead in a river under a bridge. No one was every sure what happened - if she fell, if she jumped, or if she was pushed. She went out walking and never returned and they found her body later. No one knew what happened and no one saw anything. Another painful unsolved mystery.

Not long after I moved to Austin, a 19-year-old college student from the town north of us vanished after the Christmas holiday. Rachel Cooke went missing in 2002 and foul play is suspected in that case, but they haven't been able to solve the case. They found a car they thought might be related to the case just a few months ago, but it didn't go anywhere. I wonder about her often. https://www.statesman.com/news/rachel-cooke-case-williamson-sheriff-discusses-new-evidence-today/0u9...

Honored Contributor

I find the disappearance crimes interesting.  Its so hard to imagine these people just vanish, especially in this day and age.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Just for the family, I wish for a resolution.

Honored Contributor

There was a 7 mo old boy stolen from his crib in 1985 here locally, never to be seen again. Every once in while the family will have our local news flash an age progression picture of him on air hoping someone might recognize him but so far no one has. I can't imagine what that family must be going through. They must have high hopes that he is still alive.

Honored Contributor

I would like to add my own Disappearing Without a Trace story.

Before we left 6 days ago there were quite a few tomatoes slowly turning red on the vine and numerous green beans growing in our garden. We came back yesterday and now we have no tomatoes and no green beans.

Someone had a party in our backyard while we were gone. Hope they are fat and happy.

PS - I enjoy watching ID network but I don't care for the shows that aren't wrapped up and resolved before the end of the show.