Honored Contributor

Re: Dinnerware Is So Expensive!

Williams Sonoma sells new Buffalo China style dinnerware and it's on sale.

I collect the old stuff, especially china with logos from restaurants and summer camps. It is almost impossible to break, doesn't stain and adapts to just about any décor.

I recommend it highly!

Super Contributor

On 6/19/2014 happy housewife said:

For everyday dishes I only use corelle.They are the best of all worlds and relatively inexpensive to boot.

And, light weight. I've been looking for something lighter than my stoneware.

Honored Contributor

For everyday dishes I only use corelle.They are the best of all worlds and relatively inexpensive to boot.

Doesn't corelle scratch?

Super Contributor

Check out Ikea....
Honored Contributor

You can buy reasonably priced dishes at HomeGoods, Kohls, BB&B (coupons always available for the latter 2) If you buy open stock, service pieces tend to be more expensive than buying sets with completer pieces included.

I have a ton of plain white dinner plates I use for buffets. I purchased them at BB&B many years ago for about $2 a plate.

If you buy older dishes, be careful and make sure they can be used in a microwave. (if you heat leftovers like we do)

Valued Contributor

i mix and match my dinnerware.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

On 6/19/2014 evelomaddict said:

i mix and match my dinnerware.

I like that look too.

Honored Contributor

On 6/19/2014 terrier3 said:

Doesn't corelle scratch?

I had Corelle that was 40+ years old when we moved and I donated it - it was still in perfect shape but the pattern was very dated. I bought new service for 8 in a modern pattern and expect to easily have it for the remainder of my life.

Honored Contributor

On 6/19/2014 MaggieToo said:

And, light weight. I've been looking for something lighter than my stoneware.

Plus it does not take up a lot of room in the cabinets or the dishwasher.

Super Contributor

We use Corelle all the time. We have frost white so it's easy to buy open stock for our set. We've have it for almost 20 years. We also have a set of Christmas dishes from Dillards and a set of service for 12 of Portmeirion The Botanic Garden which was made in England. I won't buy it anymore unless we go to England, because what we get here in the States is made in China.

I love having different sets for different types of dinners. But I'll stop at 3, thank you. They are so expensive like the OP said.