Honored Contributor

I have a feeling going shirtless is a thing some men have done since the cradle. Their Dads probably did it and no doubt all the men in their family and their friend too, go shirtless in public. In my rural area you will see men mowing the lawn shirtless, but I have never seen men shirtless out socially. Evidently, some have tried to though because you will see in the Quik Marts and some restaurants, no shoes, no shirt, no service. I don't care for it,  it shows a lack of respect for themselves and others.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 

It imo is just another way people these days "don't care" what others think🙄 or don't have respect for others.  I've been to many things, including outside events where I've seen things I just can't imagine the behavior!

True story:

last week my son & I went around 7:30 pm to our local WM neighborhood market.  I almost had a heart attack ...this older man (maybe 70) was standing in the aisle looking at cereal and he was dressed only his white underwear briefs -- no pants & tshirt😮

No lie, I was so shocked I just stared but my son (never lost for words) said to him: "C'on man get a grip put some pants on have you no dignity or respect for others?". Honestly, I was afraid the guy was going to punch him  he said "mind your own business ###&&&***".  Nope, son went to management --  and no one must have done anything because we saw him walking the store while we were checking out🙄🤨.

Here, I've seen people where I just smh!  I guess it's "acceptable" today...ugh...

At least you had a exciting race and beautiful weather🙂

@homedecor1  When I read things like this, especially seeing that you mentioned the guy was older, I wonder if the man has dementia... 

My dad is slipping mentally. I take him to church at his request but I always make sure everything is fine before we leave. There have been times his belt wasn’t on right, he’s had crumbs on his shirt, etc. I realize this is not as drastic as what you saw but not noticing details or appropriateness of attire is common with dementia. 

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I have a feeling going shirtless is a thing some men have done since the cradle. Their Dads probably did it and no doubt all the men in their family and their friend too, go shirtless in public. In my rural area you will see men mowing the lawn shirtless, but I have never seen men shirtless out socially. Evidently, some have tried to though because you will see in the Quik Marts and some restaurants, no shoes, no shirt, no service. I don't care for it,  it shows a lack of respect for themselves and others.

@blackhole99 

’Shows’ being the operative word here!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Kalli 

yes, I agree.  My FIL was 103 when he passed away yet did not have medical issues OR dementia & refused to move out of his home.

I lived 3 hours away & Id take him to his appointments.  It was always a battle because he only "handwashed" his clothes & "sponge bathed" -- eew.  I had so many arguments with him about his hygiene, clothes wore out/dirty that at one point I took all his clothes and put in his washing machine/dryer.  

He was so mad I "wasted water" and the possibility the water bill was going to go up he asked me to leave! Nope, if your going out with me you're going presentable!

After this, there was no more arguing cuz he needed me! Don't get me started on his house  ... never threw a thing away..not a hoarder scenario but miscellaneous stuff he "might" need🙄

He always said he was like this because he grew up in the depression era.

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 , About 15 years ago my friend, her family and some of her relatives/friends used to take their motor home to NASCAR races.  Her kids were grade school age and she would keep them in the motor home during the race because she didn’t want them exposed to some of the interesting behavior going on outside. 

With regard to shirts, my brother always says if guys don’t go to the gym and lift regularly, they haven’t earned the right to wear a sleeveless shirt. (he uses a nickname for that type of shirt) 🤔😊

If DH tried to leave our house shirtless I’d refuse to go.

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 

Sounds gross to me as well.  However, if you go to the Daytona 500 expecting dignity and decorum, you are expecting too much ....  JMO

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 

It imo is just another way people these days "don't care" what others think🙄 or don't have respect for others.  I've been to many things, including outside events where I've seen things I just can't imagine the behavior!

True story:

last week my son & I went around 7:30 pm to our local WM neighborhood market.  I almost had a heart attack ...this older man (maybe 70) was standing in the aisle looking at cereal and he was dressed only his white underwear briefs -- no pants & tshirt😮

No lie, I was so shocked I just stared but my son (never lost for words) said to him: "C'on man get a grip put some pants on have you no dignity or respect for others?". Honestly, I was afraid the guy was going to punch him  he said "mind your own business ###&&&***".  Nope, son went to management --  and no one must have done anything because we saw him walking the store while we were checking out🙄🤨.

Here, I've seen people where I just smh!  I guess it's "acceptable" today...ugh...

At least you had a exciting race and beautiful weather🙂

@homedecor1 

The man in nothing but his underwear was probably hoping his pic would end up on the 'People of WalMart' site, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dignity & Decorum

[ Edited ]

We don't go to public sporting events anymore....to much alcohol flowing and obnoxious people.

You see shirtless men at Football games too...

Honored Contributor

I feel it's none of my business what others wear as long as it doesn't really have a real impact on my life!!  I might think it's tacky but that is a car race and to expect decorum is not reality.  If it would bother me that much I would just not go to such events! 

Honored Contributor

Daytona 500 would probaby be the last place I go.  I imagine there are all kinds of people there in various stages of dress or undress.  LOL