Valued Contributor

Dignity & Decorum

[ Edited ]

Yesterday my husband and I went to the Daytona 500.  It was mid-80's and the sun was shining.  Warm?  You betcha.

There were two men sitting in front of us with wives/SOs.  One of the men was 60ish and the other was 40ish.  They both wore shorts, shoes, period, end of story.  No shirts.  The one that was in his 40's was easily 200 pounds overweight - his boobs were bigger than mine.  As the day wore on I saw several men from 18-80 in the same state of undress.  Was I offended?  No.  Repulsed?  Yes.

What would make anyone think this is acceptable behavior?  If my husband thought for a minute to go anywhere, but the beach, without a shirt he and I would be having a long (and possibly loud) conversation on the subject.  Thankfully, he has too much pride to run around looking reprehensible. 

If your husband, significant other, brother, father or grandfather went out in public shirtless, would you say something to them?  Love to hear your thoughts.  LuLu

Respected Contributor

That is just gross.  I think it should be just as unacceptable for men as it is for women.

My hubby would never.   He doesn't even go shirtless in the house.  

Honored Contributor

I live in AZ..........my FIRST worry would be the sunburn................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

Re: Dignity & Decorum

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

I live in AZ..........my FIRST worry would be the sunburn................

@Desertdi, Maybe if they sunburned places that would definitely HURT to get sunburn, they'd cover up!  LOL - LuLu

Esteemed Contributor

DH always even wears socks.

Not even in a secluded location on a hot day on our own property.

He'll chug up and down the hall after a shower and shave but no, not outside.  And of course never if we have guests.

I don't care to see even "buff" men shirtless in public.  Not to mention the sunburn factor.  And the pits.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Understand about NASCAR races @Its Me LuLuBelle2 . I have been to many and you

definitely see many odd people. What bothers me even more is the smoking

and drinking that we have encountered in our seats. The one good thing usually

is that there are some seats unoccupied so we move around when the stink and

smoke comes our way.

It certainly ruins your event when you have to see, sit by, put up with people

who have no class, manners, brains to think that others want to see them like

half naked. The thing is that they just dont care.

Back to the race. Was this your first time at Daytona? Do you have a favorite driver?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why these events permit that.  Unless a man is on the beach or by a pool, he should have clothing on.  I just don't get it.

Valued Contributor

@threecees, absolutely NO SMOKING in your seats at Daytona International Speedway.  They do have a small smoking section up in the conscession area.  So that's a plus.  Plenty of drinking going on however!  

Yes, you're right, plenty of people with absolutely no manners whatsoever.  In front of us we had nearly naked guys and behind us we had a foul mouthed, loud mouthed young woman who thought she was one of the announcers.  Lap by lap, droning on and on.

We've been to the 500 before, but this was by and far the worst as far as the crowds go.  When you're paying 200+ per ticket you shouldn't have to put up with nonsense.  I told my husband, I'm out next year.  As far as favorites, not really, but I was hoping Bubba Wallace would end up in the top three.  Not to be.

Honored Contributor

My husband lives mostly in shorts all summer long...he has really great legs and he knows it.  He always wears a short sleeve t shirt or polo shirt in public with those shorts.

When on our boat, he will wear a tank or sleeveless shirt with this swim shorts when he is out of the water.  

There is no way I would allow any man to sit on my upholstered furniture shirtless. So my DH wears a shirt around the house too.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dignity & Decorum

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Totally agree. You pay big money and people can pretty much do

what they want. Alot of things need to change with these NASCAR races. Even

in the family section, people are boozing it up. 

We go to Pocono and Dover tracks and do it anymore for the kids. We

are losing interest with it because people are always acting like fools.