Honored Contributor

Re: Did you have View Masters as a kid?

Yes. STill have it and all the slides that went with it. My boys LOVE using it. : )

Esteemed Contributor

Not View Masters but when my friend came to town to visit her adopted grandmother there was an old fashioned viewer we would put pictures in-can't remember the name.It was in the late forties then-probably was from the turn of the century. But we did play with paper dolls and had fun.

No Golden books but later enjoyed Nancy Drew etc.

Valued Contributor

I shared a viewmaster with my siblings. Who knows where that one went. We didn't have many reels.

I still have the one I bought my kids, with lots of reels. They got those reels wherever we visited. Stored in a small shoebox, not much room taken up. My daughter says she wants it. 

I have a big green book with lots of stories and poems. I taught myself to read and print letters from that book. It has good stories and poems and it has stories you will not find anywhere, the content of the stories are not pc nowadays, kinda like the Disney movie with zippity-do-da song.

Honored Contributor

Yes, to that as a kid. I have several View Masters with the reels in one of the basement closets. I bought them for our kids and they used them; now saving for the eventual grandkids when they arrive someday. Also am saving those Brio wooden magnet train sets-- all inside a Rubbermaid storage box.

I've Golden books (written on a second grade level for the most part), How & Why Wonder books from when I was a kid, Classic books from Grosset & Dunlap-- a local department store (Gertz) used to sell and had a free book birthday club promotion-- I think I got these as birthday & Christmas gifts, Dr. Seuss and Clifford the Big Red Dog books, Spot the Dog Lift The Flap books, and Curious George books for our kids when they were growing up.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Yes!!  And so did my two oldest children!  LOVED IT!

Respected Contributor

No Viewmaster, but I did have several books that I 'owned".  Most of the things I read came from the library  (free of course).  My favorite book was The Little Engine that Could. I still have it.  Most of my grands and great grands have their own copy, and many of them picked up the phrase that the little engine used, "I think I can, I think I can".  But for one it became his four words to live by . .  "I tink I tan".  Used it every time he tried something new. Also had a nice copy of A Child's Garden of Verses, and still have that also.

Honored Contributor

Yes I did.  And a slinky and  a hula hoop!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember the Christmas Santa brought my sister and me ViewMasters.  It was a special treat to get a new set of reels.  My favorite was a set I had about Rome and the Vatican.  I fantasized about visiting there someday.  My first trip there was unforgettable. (and every visit since)

Honored Contributor

Loved my view master, wish I still had it. I also loved Nancy Drew, Candyland, Chutes & Ladders, and Old Maid. I do remember Chinese Checkers as well as Tiddly Winks. Being a kid in the 50's-60's was fun.

Honored Contributor

What were/are a View Masters?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)