Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with skin cancer

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

I'm blonde with fair skin and I used to get burnt at the beach in New York's Coney Island. One year I went to Israel - and my face and head were bright red. In those days, we didn't know about sun screen. Fortunately, I don't have skin cancer --- but I think it could be due to many other things.

My mother was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in 1979 - and she thought it was from smoking just a few cigarettes. I never smoked - and I was diagnosed with the same cancer in 2005.

My best friend Brenda was diagnosed with stage 4 Lung Cancer in 2015 - she never smoked - and lived a clean life. Go figure!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Shorty: Keep us informed about ur next steps. We're very caring!!!! Sandy,Oxnard, CA

Trusted Contributor

i don't know whereyou reside, but the huntsman dcancer center is a good place to see if they can help withyour treatment.  you may want to ask your dr about it.

prayers for you and your family

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U I am  So sorry you have to go through this after going through breast cancer too....🙁

Thank you you for sharing  the importance. about using Sunscreen.  Even on cloudy days!  EVERY DAY  when outside use sunscreen on exposed areas.... year round!  PLEASE EVERYONE.

@Shorty2U  Just to ease your mind some....I had had a friend who had to have a  skin cancer removed from her face....and like you it was a big ordeal....but know  that with the final outcome and some plastic surgery to fix  the area....she came ot looking so good! 

((Hugs)).❤️❤️ ~ Sea Maiden~

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, hopefully it was caught early.  I also had a 'scare' 2 years ago.  A spot on my nose would not heal, so i went to see the dermatologist.  They 'shaved' the area and did a biopsy...it was pre cancer, thank goodness.

I also need to have a full body scan every year, which I knew people did but never did it for myself...I will do it.....cancer is nothing to mess around with.

I hope the cancer is not to deep and the surgery will be minimal, and yes I understand about being vain....it's your face after all.

Honored Contributor

A few weeks before knee surgery in October last year, a tiny new red spot on my hand was biopsied and came back as early stage squamous.   The spot had only been visible a few short days.   Because of my scheduled surgery, I couldn’t treat the spot right away.    A complication with my incision meant a 5 month delay before I could see my dermatologist and treat the spot with liquid nitrogen.   

I was finally able to resolve that issue in late March.   Another red spot appeared in August, and so far I have had 14 pre cancers treated on my hands.   My next appt is Monday, and I have 2 more red spots to be checked, that I feel sure will need cryosurgery.   

Derm appts will now be part of my future for the rest of my life; every 6 months minimum, but likely every time a new spot appears on my skin.   

Esteemed Contributor

Sending you lots of prayers and a big (((HUG)))

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U Im sorry about your skin cancer. Hopefully they caught it early. I wasnt so lucky.

I had a red blemish on the ridge of my nose. I thought it was just acne. I had it for years. Then it started to bleed. I still thought it was acne that just wouldnt go away and I was able to cover it with makeup. So one day I went to get some botox and I asked the doctor about it. She told me I needed to see my derm ASAP!

Well they biopsied it, and it hurt. You cant help but to cry because of ware they injected me. It took 4 shots just to biopsy it. 

A week later the results came back I had skin cancer. It was so bad I had to go to Stanford University to have it removed. It took 6 hours 7 numbing shots they cut from the 11 lines to the end bones of my nose. I looked like Frankenstein!

It took about a year for it to be fully healed. I was offered a free 'sanding' but after I went thru that trauma I declined. I can cover it up with make-up. It looks ok and Im cancer free, and yes wear

SUNSCREEN!!!!

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

@Shorty2U Im sorry about your skin cancer. Hopefully they caught it early. I wasnt so lucky.

I had a red blemish on the ridge of my nose. I thought it was just acne. I had it for years. Then it started to bleed. I still thought it was acne that just wouldnt go away and I was able to cover it with makeup. So one day I went to get some botox and I asked the doctor about it. She told me I needed to see my derm ASAP!

Well they biopsied it, and it hurt. You cant help but to cry because of ware they injected me. It took 4 shots just to biopsy it. 

A week later the results came back I had skin cancer. It was so bad I had to go to Stanford University to have it removed. It took 6 hours 7 numbing shots they cut from the 11 lines to the end bones of my nose. I looked like Frankenstein!

It took about a year for it to be fully healed. I was offered a free 'sanding' but after I went thru that trauma I declined. I can cover it up with make-up. It looks ok and Im cancer free, and yes wear

SUNSCREEN!!!!

@hsawaknow......oh my, that sounds like it hurt a lot.  But, it is wonderful you are now cancer free.  Wish I could say the same.