Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with skin cancer

@Shorty2U, thanks for posting.  My husband has had skin cancer spots removed a few times.  The culprit for him is fly fishing.  They stand in the water hours on end on their trips and he is very fair.  He is scheduled for another procedure in the next several months.  Even though he is religious about sun protection (hats, lotions, etc) he still gets it.  He is vigilant.

Best wishes to you.  I will say a prayer for a successful procedure.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom   My dad was an avid fly fisherman too, in addition to being a golfer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My husband is also very fair and just had the skin cancer surgery on Monday.  It was on the side of his right eye. This isn't his first time.  He had the same surgery about 15 years ago.  Fortunately they didn't have to go very deep on him and we're trying to remain positive.

I wish you the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U, I hope that your skin cancer is easily treatable and will be sending prayers your way.  After  hearing such good news that you were cancer free from breast cancer, this must have been quite a shock.   My friend was also diagnosed a few weeks back (second time that she has had skin cancer) and her procedure was very simple and only took about an hour in the doctor's office.  I hope the same for you.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I hope the OP understands that her skin cancer is coming from her sun worshipping from years ago. Not recently. Like me, I loved being out in the sun when I was younger! I still like me with a tan but don't do it anymore. Thank goodness I go religiously to the derm for body checks. The past few years I've had several cancerous lesions surgically removed. Since my last, this past summer, I see my derm every 6 months. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

Keep positive and I send you prayers.

Esteemed Contributor

I had melanoma in 2001. It was caught early so I’m still here to talk about it. My cancer was not in a place that was exposed to the sun, but I know that a great percentage of skin cancers are related to sun exposure going back many years. Most people don’t have annual skin checks at dermatologists. The fact that I did saved my life.

Respected Contributor

I have very fair skin plus rosacea...when I was young I stupidly tried to tan like my Italian girl friends!  I got many burns until I was in my 20's and stopped trying to tan.  I am always concerned that one day something will show up and am on the lookout for it. 

My BIL for some reason just doesn't take skin cancer seriously....he goes into derm often and has as many as 15 skin cancers removed of his back and so on.  Yet he goes out boating and to tanning beds for vacations not wearing spf.  Says it bothers him...some people are just very flip about it I guess.  Plus he also had kidney cancer (they removed the one kidney) and prostate cancer....seems his surgeries have been effective as they say he is cancer free in these areas but he just doesn't seem to care much about the skin kind...such odd behavior.

Respected Contributor

Sunscreen:  you need it even in the car whether as a driver or passenger.  My dad had several small cancers removed from his ears....on the driver side !

Hopefully I will remember to dab some on because I won’t put the IT foundation with sunscreen on my ears !!!

As several posters have commented: get an annual full body check please.

@Kachina

My aunt had something similar alongside her nose and the root taken out was a lengthy one down her face.  Very little scarring and makeup took care of the rest.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Sending good thoughts your way.  My derm has been body checking my DH & I for many years.  We were young when there wasn't any sunscreen as well.  I'm of Irish decent and have that fair complexion as well.  Lived by the ocean in Southern CA and was either in a pool or ocean all summer for many years.  I've been really lucky so far and only had a couple of spots that were cancer.  I do keep a close eye.  I wear sunscreen everyday.  Don't forget your hands