Contributor

If you were going to have a baby, would you consider a designer baby....sperm and egg from others? I would.

Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer or the most attractive, if I were going to have a baby I would want the best for him/her. If I had to choose one attribute from each
"donor" I would choose intelligence from one and beauty from the other.

Let's face it, we all like to look at attractive people and it seems they have a leg up when it comes to certain jobs....like those on TV, beauty pageants, even running for public office I think people lean toward the more attractive person if they don't know much about them.

So, if you would consider a designer baby, what two attributes would you choose? Creative, artistic, athletic, scientific minded, musically inclined, mathematical genius?

Honored Contributor

Re: Designer Baby? Would you?

Unfortunately, there are people shallow enough to do this. I would feel sorry for the child.

Trusted Contributor

I've seen attractive couples that had just okay looking children. Don't mess with nature.

Jessa
Respected Contributor

Since donors are usually guaranteed anonymity, how can one be positive of getting what they actually contracted for? Who screens the people and how they test them? My guess is this, like many other money making schemes, is subject and open to lots of fraud and the only oversight is based on the honesty and integrity of those running such a place.

Respected Contributor

I seem to remember Germany doing something like this in the 1940's.

Super Contributor

Yes, Germany did do this.

I find this thread extremely disturbing.

Honored Contributor

NO!!!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I remember history books/classes. Someone wanted the 'perfect' race.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Absolutely not. It's just wrong.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2015 RetRN said:

Unfortunately, there are people shallow enough to do this. I would feel sorry for the child.

Are you aware of genetic counseling and screening for problems such as Tay Sachs?

The new technology could hold real promise to screen out serious genetic problems.

As for "shallow," we've already had a sperm bank for genius donors only. I don't see anything wrong with it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices