Contributor

I'm adopting a 2 yo tuxedo female cat and would like to know what brand of food is best for my new little kitty. I'm looking for high quality, all natural food. Her foster parent is giving her Halo dry and moist Spot Stew version. Is this food good? I also want something where the ingredients come from the USA. I had a cat and she passed away around 2 years ago, but, since she was my first cat, I trusted the vets' suggestion on giving her Prescription Hill, it wasn't until she really got old that I found out about these all natural foods. Also, I remember those pet food scares, and don't want to have to worry about that. If I recall correctly, I think some food like Nutro was on that list.

I looked up the Blue Wild brand, some people said that the quality isn't the same and their cat got really sick. I know people suggest raw food, but I don't think I can go that route. It sounds too complicated withing having to know what vitamins/minerals the cat needs at a certain age.

Thanks for your help.

Honored Contributor

Hi Emerald !!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I got a Tuxedo kitty 4 months ago and little Bogey is the love of my life ..... and adjusting very well. Not only did I make a "Hollywood Production" out the feeding decision, but I'm also going a little overboard on the kitty litter thing ..... right now, I'm mixing two litters because I couldn't find one that is what I consider ideal.

This is my first kitten, so I did a lot of reading, including buying CATS FOR DUMMIES on Ebay!

PetMD.com has lots of good information, general and specific.

Wet food is generally much better than dry food, but if they have been raised only on dry food thus far, your best wet/dry ratio might work out to 50/50 .... you'll need to see how she adjusts and what she likes.

Here's a few websites I found particularly interesting:

http://www.catinfo.org/

https://www.petfinder.com/cats/bringing-a-cat-home/bringing-home-new-cat/

www.petMD.com

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20to%20train%20a%20...

Hope this helps!

Tink {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Contributor

Thanks Tink! I'll have to look into the websites you provided. Good luck with your new kitty. They are a blessing!!!

Honored Contributor

Congratulations on your new cat! Wellness is an excellent brand. That's what I've fed for about five years now. www.wellnesspetfood.com

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor
Hi Emerald1010, I have a kitty who is has kidney disease and the vet told me that they are now recommending that cats eat mostly wet food and that your kitty should have a water fountain to drink from because they tend to drink more from fountains than bowls. It may take your kitty a few days to get used to the fountain so I would set it next to the water bowl, unplugged, for a day or two, then add water and plug in so your kitty gets used to the noise and then take away the water bowl when she seems confident around it or starts drinking from it. Congrats on your new kitty - they are such wonderful company :-)
Trusted Contributor

Emerald, we give our cat the Fromm brand of cat food. We feed her the grain-free versions.

She loves the food that we give her. She likes the different canned varieties.

Fromm comes in both wet and dry forms. It is made in Wisconsin, by a family owned company.

We have been giving this food to her for about two years now.

Honored Contributor
Super Contributor

First, I looove Tuxedo's. We used Halo for our cats when it was introduced and I thought it to be a premium brand, but you might want to do some research on the quality. I believe Ellen DeGeneres has bought the company, and I'm not certain about the brand, now. Most likely, it has changed owners since we used it about 12 years ago.

My DH and I did cat rescue's and fed a feral population, and we never had a cat to turn up it's nose with that brand, but things have changed a lot.

Best of luck with your Tux. How about a pic?

Respected Contributor
My guys love Halo, both wet and dry (and treats!), and they are very healthy. I would highly recommend it. They also love Natural Balance wet occasionally. Both are excellent brands.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James