Esteemed Contributor

I have signed a pledge to only buy cage free eggs. I know they cost more, but it means the hens are not confined to cages they cannot even turn around in! The hens are happier (free to range and be free!) and they lay more eggs and there's less chance of salmonella. Panera and Starbucks, have stepped up.. and many more stores will step forward if we let them know we want cage free eggs.Smile

I started back when I was 18..helping the whales, the wild horses, whatever I could to help. I'm 63 now, and hoping maybe somehow I have made a change, to help animals. This is my passion. My kids say I'm too sensitive, I say, I'm not sensitive enough. Someone needs to talk for them..why not me?? I have included a link that any of you can check out. You don't have to donate, unless you want too..I wish I could do more.

http://www.worldanimalprotection.us.org/take-action

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Re: Pet lovers, please help!

I know it is so sad. Same with many pork products- pigs are in pens and they can't even move.The pigs are more unhealthy and diseased when they are penned in like that. You don't even want to know about veal, it would break your heart. Smiley Sad Glad there are others that care about the humane treatment of animals.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/29/2015 HappyDaze said:

I know it is so sad. Same with many pork products- pigs are in pens and they can't even move.The pigs are more unhealthy and diseased when they are penned in like that. You don't even want to know about veal, it would break your heart. Smiley Sad Glad there are others that care about the humane treatment of animals.

Thanks HappyDaze..I know there are many animal lovers here on this pet lovers forum. Hoping others will go to the site and get some info..there are some heartwarming stories..like the Best Friends in Utah and all the work they've done for abused animals..and getting them forever homes! My bf used to be in the front lines helping abused animals..I couldn't do that..I am sure I would have a breakdown! I am so in awe of people like the woman that has a large shelter in Louisiana rehabilitating and saving Pit bulls and the Parolees that work with them! These people give me hope!

-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

They have a brand here, and maybe other places called "Phil's Eggs."

They are cage free. They are more expensive, but they are the best TASTING eggs I have ever had.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

How do you find cage free eggs? I've never noticed them in the grocery store, but will look for them. I usually shop at Kroger. Do you need to look somewhere like Whole Foods for them?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2015 NickNack said:

How do you find cage free eggs? I've never noticed them in the grocery store, but will look for them. I usually shop at Kroger. Do you need to look somewhere like Whole Foods for them?

They will say cage free on the box. I think I've seen them at every store I've looked at- Fred Meyer, Safeway, Whole Foods, Trader joes, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I have gotten them at Whole Foods, Trader Joes..I would call your local store and ask, I bet your Kroger has them!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/29/2015 hyacinth003 said:

They have a brand here, and maybe other places called "Phil's Eggs."

They are cage free. They are more expensive, but they are the best TASTING eggs I have ever had.

Hyacinth

Hyacinth, happy hens, better eggs! I know my BIL has hens now and he used to give us eggs, the yolks were more yellow and bigger! I remember watching Paula Dean and she would hold her hens on her lap..they had a gorgeous chicken coop too..they were her pets! I would love that life..I know I wouldn't eat any meat..just veggies!Smile

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

double post, sorry!

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2015 emmysmom said:

I have gotten them at Whole Foods, Trader Joes..I would call your local store and ask, I bet your Kroger has them!

Okay, thanks. I'm going to Kroger tomorrow and will look for them. If not, I'll look somewhere else. Thanks for bringing this up. I knew cage free was best but have never looked for them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau