Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Sooner 

You must not have feral cats or hawks in your area!

Or a big dog!

Honored Contributor

Re: Define: Squirrel

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Sooner 

Or a big dog!

We have hawks, falcons and feral cats here. But  when my golden and I are sitting outside, sometimes a squirrel will come right up to us. My golden just looks at it. She never chases them either. She would probably want to snuggle with it...lol!

Honored Contributor
I live on a wooded lot and had my house "wildlife proofed" to the extent it can be (wildlife can always find ways to get in but the company put wildlife-proof (including bats, squirrels and raccoons among other wildlife) screening over every place they could see where wildlife might get in (esp outside where there are vents for my attic). There is an extra small holed (for bats), extra strong special screening for this purpose. The worker called it "wildlife exclusion" screening.
Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

I have a big dog (my avatar), but he has no interest in squirrels or any other animals.

We trained him to ignore all other animals when out hiking, walking. or in public in general.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Sooner 

Or a big dog!

We have hawks, falcons and feral cats here. But  when my golden and I are sitting outside, sometimes a squirrel will come right up to us. My golden just looks at it. She never chases them either. She would probably want to snuggle with it...lol!

@SilleeMee 

Goldens are such 'sugar babies'!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  Those little critters are EVERYWHERE! Growing up, my Dad had a running battle with them in competition for the hickory nuts. He usually got just enough for one cake or one batch of Russian Tea Cookies. Back then, the squirrels were feeding on less polluted things, so we shot them and ate them. They are delicious! 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner  Those little critters are EVERYWHERE! Growing up, my Dad had a running battle with them in competition for the hickory nuts. He usually got just enough for one cake or one batch of Russian Tea Cookies. Back then, the squirrels were feeding on less polluted things, so we shot them and ate them. They are delicious! 

Growing up, my brother used to shoot and eat them too, sorry but totally gross IMO.

They smelled really gross cooking....no thanks.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Sooner 

@KingstonsMom Lots of Hawks!  LOTS!  Making lazy circles in the sky --all the time (remember the song "OKLAHOMA!"?) but there are too many tall fences for them to swoop much in the 'hood!  It's easier out of the fields in the river valley!  

Lazy Hawks!  

Honored Contributor

I've eaten many things in my life, even a muskrat. But never a squirrel.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@PA Mom-mom I love hickory nuts!  (Or "hicker nuts" as most Okies say.). But they are SO hard to pick out!  And black walnuts too!!!!!  LOVE black walnut pound cake!