Esteemed Contributor

@justashopper : More info, please. 

Just the two of you or are others invited? Out to lunch or at her place?

If i was not excited about the invite I would give no excuse, just respectfully decline the invitation and thank the neighbor for thinking of me, Merry Christmas, etc.

Honored Contributor

@justashopper I don't know where people get the idea they are "terrible" for not wanting to do something.

Just say "Sorry, I can't make it. Have a nice time." 

NO excuse or reason is necesary. No is a complete sentence.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @queendiva 

I called her to check to see if she needed anything because we are expecting storms-- like a lot of the country.  And she offered me to join a lunch at a restuarant with her and another of her friends later that day.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Love my grandkids 

You are so right.  I don't know why I felt so bad about it.  Its one lunch.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

Re: Declining Invitations

[ Edited ]

Hi @kaydee50 

That's right.  We all owe it to ourselves to protect and respect our space and needs, too!  Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Sooner 

OK!!!

Thanks!!

Trusted Contributor

hi @On It 

Yes.  Thank you.  short and sweet.  to the point. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Declining Invitations

[ Edited ]

I say "no thank you" to any invite I do not care to attend.  I used to feel so obligated to go  to all but with being older I no longer feel that way.  Today I am saying no to a catered Christmas lunch barbecue feast only because I know it would ruin my appetite for tonight's festivities.  Priority to the event I care the most about.  Not to mention all those extra calories.  Remember your time is important and how you want to spend it and explanations are not required to anyone.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I agree with those who said no excuse or reason is necessary. Just, thanks for thinking of me, but I can't make it is more than enough. And make sure to enjoy your day off by doing, or not doing, whatever you want!

Trusted Contributor

Hi @beckyb1012 

You bring up a good point.  I don't want to eat two meals out in one day.  Too many calories in one day if I go out to dinner as I planned.  My sleep will be messed up by it, too.

It's hard during the holidays to not gain a few pounds.... LOL