Trusted Contributor

Hi

I am looking for some opinions.  Do you think it's wrong to decline an invitation to lunch, if you just don't really enjoy the company?  It's not that I don't like the person (a neighbor) and I do like being friendly... but I'd rather not socialize like that. 

Do you accept all invitations?  Just because they asked? What if it's not how you want to spend your day off?

I am trying to decide if I am a terrible person.. LOL.  thanks.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Declining Invitations

[ Edited ]

I probably would have when I was younger.

But since I am older if I dont want to go for whatever reason I just decline.  I usually dont give a reason, I dont think we have to justify our decision.

In your case you can most certainly use your day off as an excuse.  You just have too many things to accomplish in 1 day, but thank you for thinking of me.

When I worked I was very selfish with my days off, especially when my kids were young.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

Hi

I am looking for some opinions.  Do you think it's wrong to decline an invitation to lunch, if you just don't really enjoy the company?  It's not that I don't like the person (a neighbor) and I do like being friendly... but I'd rather not socialize like that. 

Do you accept all invitations?  Just because they asked? What if it's not how you want to spend your day off?

I am trying to decide if I am a terrible person.. LOL.  thanks.  

@justashopper  No, you are not a terrible person.

If you accept all invitations, when you don't want to in the first place, you will soon find yourself worn out and resentful. Just give a polite no. It is okay.

Trusted Contributor

@Regal Bee 

Hi and thank you. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Imaoldhippie 

Thanks.  You're right.  

Esteemed Contributor

hi @justashopper 

No you're not a terrible person.  I would decline and say it's my day off and I have so much to catch up on so it doesn't work for me.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi @mspatmac 

Thank you!  

Honored Contributor

@justashopper   You are NOT a terrible person.  Your time and feelings are at least as important, if not more so, than anyone else's.  Make a polite excuse, i.e, you don't feel up to it or whatever, and don't give it a second thought.

Honored Contributor

@justashopper You are a terrible person to yourself if you think you have to do everything people want you to do!  Get over that!  Now!  Woman Very Happy  OK?  

OK!!!!!!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@justashopper Feel confident in declining. A simple "I am sorry, but I can't be there. I hope you all have a wonderful lunch."