Honored Contributor

I thought I just read she was going to change the date. Do you think all the pressure of her date 11/1 caused her to do this on the date? She was able to go to the Grand canyon recently.

Trusted Contributor
On 11/4/2014 missyw1 said:

I thought I just read she was going to change the date. Do you think all the pressure of her date 11/1 caused her to do this on the date? She was able to go to the Grand canyon recently.

She never said she would change the date. However, this was a decision she made with support from her family and doctors and I don't think she was pressured into it. She had a debilitating and painful terminal disease and she choose to end her suffering.
It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor
On 11/4/2014 missyw1 said:

I don't think so. I think she did it because the disease was progressing to a point she couldn't bear it any longer. I don't think any of us know what we would do till we were in that situation ourselves.

Super Contributor

She set the date many months ago when she first learned of her cancer. She wanted to schedule her death the day after her husband's birthday. When she set the date months ago she didn't know for certain how she would be feeling on that exact day or how badly the cancer would have progressed but she assumed it would be bad and didn't want it to get so bad (unconscious or unable to communicate) that she would not be able to carry it through since she had to actually be awake to drink the lethal dose that ended her life. The doctor only mixes the chemicals but doesn't administer them. She determined the time frame because her prognosis was terminal and she said that most people die within 6 months. So she gave herself enough time to do the things she wanted to do like see the Grand Canyon, etc. When she started getting closer to the date and was still functioning she released another video on YouTube saying that she might still be here on that day and that is when all the backlash from some of her supporters began.

Super Contributor

Jubliant, I love your comment and I hope you don't mind my borrowing it.

I think we need not get so rattled by what other people believe.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Jig Saw. Sometimes I think we just need to step back, take a deep breath, and realize that our relationship to others is more important than proving a point.

Super Contributor

You are welcome. I think if I had to name one thing that bothers me about this forum, that would be it. People getting rattled over other poster's thoughts, ideas, and beliefs. They have no bearing whatsoever on any one of us and how we live our lives.

Honored Contributor
On 11/4/2014 jubilant said:

Thank you, Jig Saw. Sometimes I think we just need to step back, take a deep breath, and realize that our relationship to others is more important than proving a point. Oh, I edited this to say.... sure, go ahead and use my comment. It's kind of old...it was a word (rattled) used by my Great Grandmother. That might be why it came to mind. Of course she called cars either "automobiles" or "machines", too! She was the calmest person I have ever known and I learned a lot just by observing "Granny" {#emotions_dlg.wub}. She died many years ago at 94 and I have often wondered if her calmness was part of the reason she lived to be so old.

Valued Contributor
On 11/3/2014 cody said:
On 11/3/2014 Autumn in NY said: Many of her quote bashers funded her bucket list vacations and she relied heavily on social media for donations and support. She was online right before she passed away leaving a message to all who were following the story. She and the organization that videotaped her used the internet to get her message out and they were reading the comments because she acknowledged the sceptical comments in her last YouTube video.

If she was doing this for the money for ""vacations"" and attention...why didn't she hang around a few more years to enjoy it? The money and attention would have continued and she could have had a REALLY good time and THEN killed herself.

You honestly think this woman ended her life for the reasons you have stated here and that her family would have supported that? It is my understanding that the ""money"" was going to the organization. I might just send some money to that organization myself.

you're kidding right?

Super Contributor

Ha! Your "Granny" sounded like a woman I would have liked very much. Her calmness could very well be a reason for her long life. Life is too short to go around getting upset over every little thing, you tend to miss out on the good things, like you said, our relationships with others being one of them.