Esteemed Contributor

Dealing With A Control Freak.

My sister is a wonderful woman, and we get along 98% of the time, but she thinks it is her job to run everyone's life.

She has a long list of very serious health issues and she couldn't get off the couch on Easter.  Both her daughters, ages 42 and 43,  were there and they made dinner.  Nothing fancy, chicken (DS can't have any protein from any animal with 4 feet. No beef, pork or lamb), scalloped potatoes, salad, another veg, and rolls.

My sister told me of was the first holiday, ever, that she wasn't in the kitchen to.......direct. Huh!  It was not the allied forces storming Normandy. 2 intelligent woman can handle dinner and clean up. She constantly tells her kids what they should be doing. They say things to me about her bossiness. Don't tell me, tell her.

She got mad at her youngest last week because her DD had the nerve to not let her drive. She can barely get to the car and has to be in a wheelchair at her destinations.  Her DH won't let her drive and he was out so she browbeat her daughter to let her behind the wheel.

I ignore her, or give her "the look",  when she tries to boss me.

Do you have a control freak in your life and how do you handle it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Dealing With A Control Freak.

Thank goodness I have no one close like that, it would not go well.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1   Yeah, I don't take being ordered around well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a self admitted control freak. I try to muzzle  on it....and keep it under control😄

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Think I read other posts about your sister on this topic, but maybe it was someone else. Do I have any in my family? No, but I have worked around people, and have been around many others that were/are that way.

How did I handle it? Pretty much like I do everything else in my life. I speak up, and that in short order, ends when they thought they would apply that to me. I won't use the words I used, but they got/get my message loud and clear.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Welp. You are not going to change your sister at this late date, so I'd say figure out a way to laugh about "how she always is." "Can you believe what Jenny Sue did/tried to pull this week? Hahahaha." Makes for good stories at least.

There's a saying, "Tyrants fear laughter." The kryptonite of control freaks is when you maintain a sense of proportion and humor. I just refuse to take them as seriously as they take themselves. And I allow myself a laugh when a ridiculous statement or demand strikes me as funny.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I'm a bit of a control freak, but not about other people.  It's why most projects I do I don't want help.  That way I can do it the way I want.  I have an upcoming project with my husband putting together a greenhouse.  That will be interesting.  We're both engineers, but we also both seem to look at things completely opposite.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain   When she has said that she told a daughter to do this or that my response is, "you do realize you raised 2 kids that are smart and have common sense."

Respected Contributor

I admit that I am confused. Were you there for the Easter dinner? If it bothers you then I would stay home and have my own holiday dinner. if your sister is a wonderful woman 98% of the time then ignore the 2% that she is not. None of us are perfect 100% of the time. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

my husband....there's only one way to do things.....his way....i think it's a trait he developed during his military career...might have worked well when he was a pilot....but doesn't work well during his retirement.......