Honored Contributor

Re: Dealing With A Control Freak.

Yes, a sister, she was ALWAYS right,  I never fought with another person like she fought with me, never her fault, things always had to go her way....stupid stuff and she would never let anything go...we no longer speak, and one of her kids has no contact with her the other kids keep her at arms length.

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey  No, I wasn't there.  My sister told me that the girls made dinner and cleaned up. She told me that she couldn't be in the kitchen to direct.

Trusted Contributor

I do and I tell her about herself.  She can like it or lump it. She knows it's true.  She does not try to run me or browbeat me.  That would not work.  She has an opinion about just about everything and often disagrees with how I think. We know that we are both highly opinionated and are just fine with it. When someone tells you the truth about yourself, how can you honestly deny it?

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I agree I am the same. I also try to keep it under control. Oh and it's tiring keeping you all in line! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣❤️❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

If there were a person in my family who was a "control freak",  I fear they would be shut down in short order.  My family members do not silently abide bad behavior for very long. 

Respected Contributor

The first thought that came to my mind is that it could be a personality trait that's on overdrive because she may not feel like she has much/any control over her health issues so she directs it inappropriately. It could also be because being overly bossy is a distraction from her health issues. It may not hurt to point these possibilities out so she doesn't burn bridges.

Though it's obviously an issue, understanding why someone might be doing things can help to have more patience and compassion towards them.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a take charge person and very organized. Party time, I take over from beginning to end and they follow my lead. There are seven of us (brothers and sisters) and I tell them I'm this way because I'm a middle child. There keep telling me there is no middle and I always tell them the fourth is the middle. 

There is one in every family lol. I'm it.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

The first thought that came to my mind is that it could be a personality trait that's on overdrive because she may not feel like she has much/any control over her health issues so she directs it inappropriately. It could also be because being overly bossy is a distraction from her health issues. It may not hurt to point these possibilities out so she doesn't burn bridges.

Though it's obviously an issue, understanding why someone might be doing things can help to have more patience and compassion towards them.

@ThinkingOutLoud , it's because we think that we can do everything better than anyone else lol 

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud    She was like this long before she got sick.

When she first started getting sick almost 2 years ago she refused to go to the Dr.  Her husband, both girls (one is a nurse) and I all tried to get her to go. It took an emergency room visit to get her to a Dr. and he said had she waited a few more days she wouldn't be here.

She told all of us to basically butt out. She does not follow her own advice.  I no longer discuss her health issues.

She outright told me she can tell us what to do but we are not allowed to do it to her. 

Honored Contributor

My father and the older of my two brothers were control freaks.  Everyone in the household let them have their way, but me.

Once my father said  "You are the only one of my children who doesn't listen and take direction from me.  What's the matter with you?"

I replied " I can't help it if I have your genes and take after you". He did laugh about that.