Respected Contributor

Re: Dealing With A Control Freak.

You do not deal with those who like to control.

Let them say, scream or whatever then do what you want not what you are told, you walk away.

If they control you then you are nothing and mean nothing.

Yes she has problems but she has to live them and learn she does not have control.

She has a hard lesson to learn and that is she must accept things and deal with it, there is no controlling for her.

The more she is allowed to control the less help anyone can be for her. If she is that controlling now, she will be impossible to manage later and it will be hell for her and everyone. Guilt is not an option.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes we can only do what needs to be done, even if it means not having contact with family. I totally u for that. I have a SIL that is the worst control freak ever. We never visit her and she lives several hours away, thank goodness.when we do visit she meets us at the door with an itinerary complete with times...don’t even think about commenting or asking to change anything.....the first time we went through that I swore I would never go back....when she and my husbands brother came out to see us, she even brought marching orders for us, like what I was supposed to make for breakfast and what time it needed to be ready! Their kids moved out as soon as they graduated, and I know why. By BIL is a whipped puppy and is just resigned to his lot in life.
Honored Contributor

We backed out on buying a house we really wanted when we found out about the wacko HOA. I don’t regret it even now.
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I'm a bit of a control freak, but not about other people.  It's why most projects I do I don't want help.  That way I can do it the way I want.  I have an upcoming project with my husband putting together a greenhouse.  That will be interesting.  We're both engineers, but we also both seem to look at things completely opposite.  

@Icegoddess  - My husband is also an engineer and great with putting together stuff/building stuff around the house.  You'll have to keep us posted on your greenhouse project.  As you stated - should be interesting.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

When they issue orders, you don't have to stay there and take it.  Walk away.  They can't fight, argue, etc., if no one is there to boss around.  Walk away.

Good advice @qualitygal .  My husband tends to be a control freak.  If he starts to tell me how to do something when I'm in the middle of something, I walk away and tell him to do it.