Esteemed Contributor

"Don't let them see where you tie your goat." I never heard that saying and have no idea what it means. I guess it's suppose to be good advice, but if my Dad said that to me I would draw a blank as to what he was talking about.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

"Don't let them see where you tie your goat." I never heard that saying and have no idea what it means. I guess it's suppose to be good advice, but if my Dad said that to me I would draw a blank as to what he was talking about.

I think it's about the saying: letting someone get your goat. So not letting them see where you tie your goat would be--don't let people see the ways they can get you riled up, because they'll only use them against you. It's great advice. I like your dad @jubilant.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

OK, thank you for the explanation. Not familiar with that remark, and it is good advice.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@teganslaw   If you tie your goat out front where everyone see's it then they will know exactly where to find that (your goat is your feelings).  If you keep it to yourself or tie it where they can't see it, then they  won't so readily be able to find it.  It's all about not reacting. That's what they want you to do.  By keeping your feeling in check you discourage them to even want to continue....if that makes sense. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

I think it's about the saying: letting someone get your goat. So not letting them see where you tie your goat would be--don't let people see the ways they can get you riled up, because they'll only use them against you. It's great advice. I like your dad @jubilant.

@Porcelain   Dad didn't lecture a lot.  He usually just threw out one of his many one-liners.  I remember those more than Mom's lectures!! Like @teganslaw said, I didn't get it at first either but the next few times he used that line on me...I finally got it!  I was the kid that got my feelings hurt easily.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

@Porcelain   Dad didn't lecture a lot.  He usually just threw out one of his many one-liners.  I remember those more than Mom's lectures!! Like @teganslaw said, I didn't get it at first either but the next few times he used that line on me...I finally got it!  I was the kid that got my feelings hurt easily.

@jubilant 

Me too.  In fact, I still do.🤗

My mother didn't have any quaint sayings, but she did always tell me not to get upset and "freak out" when the boys teased me when I was a kid.  She explained that was exactly what they wanted and if I didn't play their game, they'd tire and quit and go tease someone that reacted.

So, the next time a little boy thrust a live garter snake in my face (ick!), I found my courage and instead of screaming I just calmly pushed it away.  The boy didn't know what to make of that at all.  Disappointed, he went away and never bothered me again.

I learned a lot from that one incident.😉

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

@jubilant 

My mother didn't have any quaint sayings, but she did always tell me not to get upset and "freak out" when the boys teased me when I was a kid.  She explained that was exactly what they wanted and if I didn't play their game, they'd tire and quit and go tease someone that reacted.

So, the next time a little boy thrust a live garter snake in my face (ick!), I found my courage and instead of screaming I just calmly pushed it away.  The boy didn't know what to make of that at all.  Disappointed, he went away and never bothered me again.

Boys have always had to learn that lesson very quickly. But it applies to girls as well.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

@jubilant 

Boys have always had to learn that lesson very quickly. But it applies to girls as well.

@Porcelain   That's a good one!  If you can stand up to a snake, imo, you can stand up to about anything!  I did get over my easily hurt feelings in grade school.  Yes, it would be nice to have discussions without snark and name calling but more and more that seems unlikely. I do believe that a soft answer turns away wrath.  Also a soft answer is not what some people want to hear so they leave you alone for the most part.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono  Your efforts are so appreciated on many levels.  The work that you do as a teacher, the concern for your students, as well as your colleagues is admirable.  This dedication is evident even in your contributions on this board.  Every Saturday morning and responding/ hearting every post, creating subjects (fashion or interesting facts on how countries are spending their time) that offer insight as well as noteworthy fashion/design news.  You are the maven that is sought when someone is wondering where they can find a certain fashion item.  Most importantly, your decorum has always been respectful as well as humorous, intelligent, and insightful.

Yes, it has been a challenging year for everyone.  People react to the challenges in different ways.  You dig in and serve.  I so respect you and, if you knew me personally, you would know that I can relate professionally to your trials.  

When the going got tough in my life, my mother would say, "go take a warm bath, I'll make some tea, and we will talk".  I wish I could send you some tea and have a chat.  Hope the BF has had some recovery and wish you lots of health and joy in the days to come.  I know you are appreciated by many.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@on the bay  I love moving. I'm very organized and every box is marked and there is a list of what's in the box lol. I get to throw thing out and only keep what I need. I'm the person my family calls when they need to pack.

Over the years, I've moved a big house full of furniture and stuff around 6 times - by myself. This last move 20 yrs ago - was the worst - as I was a lot older. I never threw out anything.