Trusted Contributor

Re: DOES GENDER MATTER WHEN SELECTING .....

I prefer a female physician. I don't have to chose between proficiency and gender as female doctors are just as competent as male doctors.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

I prefer a female primary care physician and gynecologist.  Women tend to be more patient, they are better listeners and we share common experiences.  I'm ok with male dentists and every other specialty.  

Valued Contributor

I will not go to a female for a Dentist or Doctor, I prefer a male, I find them easier to talk to and if I have question's they don't feel I am questioning their ability to do their job. 

Esteemed Contributor

Qualifications & certifications are my priority. I’ve had mostly male physicians & my gyn who has treated me since 1985 retired last year. I did find a new one, a female, who is very nice & highly competent. However, my former gyn had a very light touch, did a very gentle exam & was a compassionate person. I worked in the medical field for 50 years, the first 18 in Obstetrics (L&D) & female MDs are just as competent but I found the men more compassionate & more calm during emergencies.
Trusted Contributor

I have no preference when it comes to my dentist. I have had 4 over my lifetime, and they've all been men.  They keep retiring, although, my current one is in his early 40s so will have him for years to come.

My GP from the time I was in my early 20s to early 60s was male, and he was wonderful.  We grew old(er) together.  He was so knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor.  I was sad when he retired.  He was replaced by a female, and I got lucky.  She is also very knowledgeable, and I trust her implicitly. Her specialty is internal medicine.

For years, my gyn was the chief of OB/GYN and was another excellent doctor.  He always had his female nurse in the room during exams.  He would follow up afterwards in his office.  Again, he retired and was replaced by a female.  I have only seen her a couple of times, but she is very nice and easy to talk to.  At this point in my life I do feel more comfortable with female doctors.

Honored Contributor

My sister just told me something funny .... she always, always seeks out a female dentist, if her insurance changes and requires a change.

For many years she had a male dentist ... tall, personable, very competent.  However, when she had to change dentists and had a female dentist for the first time, she realized how much smaller her new dentists' fingers were when she had to reach into her mouth. 

Female dentists usually have smaller fingers than male dentists ... and it's much more comfortable.

I don't think I would have ever thought about that. lol  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I prefer a female primary care physician and gynecologist.  Women tend to be more patient, they are better listeners and we share common experiences.  I'm ok with male dentists and every other specialty.  

@chrystaltree 

ITA.   I had a male physician for over 20 years and loved him.  When he retired a female doc took over his practice.   

It can be hard to "break in" a new doctor, but I'm glad I gave her a chance.  She's very good.  

Regular Contributor

It depends on the specialty. In some cases I prefer a female.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

My sister just told me something funny .... she always, always seeks out a female dentist, if her insurance changes and requires a change.

For many years she had a male dentist ... tall, personable, very competent.  However, when she had to change dentists and had a female dentist for the first time, she realized how much smaller her new dentists' fingers were when she had to reach into her mouth. 

Female dentists usually have smaller fingers than male dentists ... and it's much more comfortable.

I don't think I would have ever thought about that. lol  Woman LOL

I have a small mouth and appreciate dainty fingers. 😊

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer  female gyno. But I don't have part of equipment in that area,so no need for certain tests.  Anyway, I have a women I have seen twice in last 20 years and Ilike her.  She is all pro woman and listens. I think if I was young again, and especially child bearing I might choose a woman GYN-OB. Seems like so many are women anyway.  At least in California. But Of all the medical fields ,being a Dr in that field is extremely litigious and malpractice is so bad, many left for other fields.  My brothers Shrink is a male who was a GYN OB for 25 years but left for Psychiatry. He's good at it, so it's a gift to my brother and our family