Honored Contributor

Re: DOES GENDER MATTER WHEN SELECTING .....

@BlueFinch 

I'm just speculating that at some point, your male cardiologist must possibly have shown up on some sort of patient review site .....  are there any you trust?  

If someone really has issues with any doctor, of course they can report them to the state medical board, but does the public ever get uncensored access to medical reviews of doctors and dentists?    Somehow, Yelp probably won't do the trick, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

I have little choice.  In our area mostly male doctors.  And we have been here what seems like forever and we have an attachment to those who we selected long ago.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   in my state, Dept of Health has a listing of all doctors and allied health practioners who have been sanctioned or had licenses revoked. they don't go into detail but if there was a lawsuit the court records can be googled. (in some entries they link the legal actions)  i found out my former eye doctor was sued for doing a cosmetic eye lift and the plaintiff won, sadly she was disfigured.

my state seems to have a lot of doctors who graduated medical school with a D average.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter to me.  Their knowledge and proficiency does.  And yeah, insurance comes into it too, unfortunately.  That said, when I was having my first child, a new OB was on duty.  I almost asked him if he had a note from his mother, saying it was ok for him to look there and touch that!  By the time I was ready to deliver, his shift was over and one of my regular docs was coming on duty.  

Trusted Contributor

I sought (and had) a woman as my OB/GYN when I was in my having children stage. In addition, I wanted a woman doc who had ALSO given birth. 

For my children, I chose a male pediatrician that they could grow up with. As they hit puberty and started to feel and look "different" (as one son said), they felt more comfortable with a "dude" than a "dudette". That mattered so  a male doc only for them.

Beyond that, don't care. The best PCP we've ever had was a man. The one we have now is a woman and the best we can say about her is "eh".

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Yes, I did follow-up with patient reviews for this doc. Seems he only had a few, which was telling in itself, since he wasn't new to his practice. The few available were not good, while my wonderful PCP has hundreds of positive reviews.

I would have never picked this cardiac doc. He was just assigned to my case when I was hospitalized to rule out a heart attack after hiking in the TX heat. I'm lucky he didn't give me one.

Docs who have been sued will have that information available for the public and it will remain on their record permanently. They object to this reporting much more than the financial awards, since they don't pay those fees themselves anyway. Their concern is reputation. Sounds like the medical boards just do wrist slapping, unless the cases start mounting up.

There's lots of protection for docs. Care facilities have stables of lawyers who are skilled and ready for the fight. They'll drag the cases out for years, too.  

Shockingly, I even found legal documents on my dog's previous Vet. It gave all the details. Bad, perverted stuff. You would never have guessed it by his kind, professional behaviors. Yikes!

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Knowledge, skill and bedside manner (in my case, a sense of humor) trumps gender.

When I moved here had the same PCP for decades until he left for an administrative job.  I then saw a Dr. from his practice for years until he retired.  Loved them both.

Saw a woman OBGYN for a uterine polyp in 2012. My DD's doctor.

She was great and had a sense of humor. I had to have the polyp removed of course. I said, "Can't I just keep it and and name it Herb?" She burst out laughing and said, "No."

As far as dentists, don't care about gender, they are all went to the Marquis de Sade school of dentistry. Hate the dentist. My childhood dentist's name was Dr. Pierce and he lived up to the name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~`

@CrazyKittyLvr2  

ROFL!!  WHAT A *HOOT* you are!!   Woman Happy

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Trusted Contributor

It doesn't matter to me at all.

When I was younger, I did care though.  I always had a female gynecologist.  However, when I had my girls, I had to switch over to a different doctor who is male.  Never bothered me a bit. He is still my doctor now.  All that mattered to me was that I had someone who was highly qualified with an excellent reputation.  When it comes to my health and taking care of myself, all I care about is having someone who knows what they're doing.

Honored Contributor

My health insurance has an infuence on what doctor I choose.  I do prefer a female for OBGYN.  Other than that, gender/age doesn't matter.

Respected Contributor

Definitely a female pcp. When I was younger, I didn't mind a male gynecologist. But now, I always request a female. 

My current dentist is male, but the hygienist is female.