Trusted Contributor

Have been with USAA for MANY years ( from my father who was in the military).

I have various products with them and was always proud to refer to myself as USAA for life!"  

Last July, 2021, I got an entry on my CC Visa statement for just under $100 from a vendor in the "Amazon Marketplace." 

I immediately called USAA to report a fraud as I have a Chase card (with 5% back) that I use for all my Amazon purchases so there is no circumstance where I would use the USAA card for any Amazon purchase.  I have no idea who perpetrated the fraud, no company is mentioned on the coded entry on my account and I have no other info to offer them in this matter.

It is now almost October and this matter has not resolved!!  The $98 charge still appears on my statement!  I have called 8 different levels of CS (including the latest being the "Chairman's Office") to no avail!  Each agent, at whatever level of CS has a script telling me their "team" is working on it, research is being done by their fraud dept....it goes on and on with NO RESOLUTION!  

The individual answering the phone is always pleasant but apparently unable to wield the clout to get the charge reversed and satisfy me that the matter is closed in my favor.  It feels like I'm stuck in a loop of inertia!!

To say I have lost complete faith in USAA would be an understatement and I'm at a loss as to how to proceed to get that $98. charge reversed on my account.

As an aside, I also have a substantial (for me) savings acct that I've had for years with USAA.  I would like to close it to reflect my loss of confidence in the company.  However, I have no idea where I would park that $$$ so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Have you given any thought to also contacting Amazon and have them investigate the charge?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I don't have a suggestion just have the same frustration with USAA. We and our children have been members for decades. We never have an uncontested claim. We just don't know if any other company would be better.

We used their cedit card for a while but they would not help with a disputed charge. We had investment/IRA accounts and closed those.

I could describe the insurance hassels but we all have those stories with USAA. Dallas paper said BBB dropped their rating to grade D!

Your experience is typical of this company.

Esteemed Contributor

@pdlinda :  Sorry for your unfortunate experience with USAA, how disappointing.  I, too, have a very long relationship with them (40 yrs, also due to my Dad) but this incident wouldn't be enough for me to sever that relationdhip.  I'd put your complaint in an email to the chairman's office and request that they get back to you within 3 days ( include you phone #).  As.for your account, it depends on how much $$ you have.  If its less than 10K I'd move it to a Credit Union,if more, I'd want investment advice and would put it in a brokerage account.

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda This is not an isolated event with only USAA. Getting help across many segments of the economy and a large variety of companies has become daunting to say the least. They have developed these stall tactics and scripted conversations that lead to nowhere. At first I thought it was because of a language barrier since most of the call centers have been outsourced to other countries. Now I am encountering the lack of power to give a response or reach a decision more and more. The call is sent to someone else who opens a case file, but little to no progress is made. I have no idea how this is beneficial to either the company or the consumer.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DISGUSTED WITH USAA

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda wrote:

Have been with USAA for MANY years ( from my father who was in the military).

I have various products with them and was always proud to refer to myself as USAA for life!"  

Last July, 2021, I got an entry on my CC Visa statement for just under $100 from a vendor in the "Amazon Marketplace." 

I immediately called USAA to report a fraud as I have a Chase card (with 5% back) that I use for all my Amazon purchases so there is no circumstance where I would use the USAA card for any Amazon purchase.  I have no idea who perpetrated the fraud, no company is mentioned on the coded entry on my account and I have no other info to offer them in this matter.

It is now almost October and this matter has not resolved!!  The $98 charge still appears on my statement!  I have called 8 different levels of CS (including the latest being the "Chairman's Office") to no avail!  Each agent, at whatever level of CS has a script telling me their "team" is working on it, research is being done by their fraud dept....it goes on and on with NO RESOLUTION!  

The individual answering the phone is always pleasant but apparently unable to wield the clout to get the charge reversed and satisfy me that the matter is closed in my favor.  It feels like I'm stuck in a loop of inertia!!

To say I have lost complete faith in USAA would be an understatement and I'm at a loss as to how to proceed to get that $98. charge reversed on my account.

As an aside, I also have a substantial (for me) savings acct that I've had for years with USAA.  I would like to close it to reflect my loss of confidence in the company.  However, I have no idea where I would park that $$$ so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You should be disputing the charge with THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY.  That's where you start.

Edited for correction.....still wishing you luck with it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda I hope I was able to help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda   USAA has changed.  I have been a loyal customer for over 30 years....no complaints.   About a year ago they sold their financial branch and transferred all 401 Ks to other financial companies.....a nightmare. I've been trying to transfer to another financial company....a challenge just to get your money and information.

Check out reviews and complaints online if you need confirmation.  You are not alone.   I'm wishing you the best....stay on it and report to BBB.  We will survive with persistence.

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

we, too, were with usaa for decades...husband's dad was military....and so is my husband....when all of a sudden our home insurance skyrocketed...they determined our house was in a flood zone.....there's not a drop of water around us....but just so happened there had been many floods across the country....guess they had to recoop some of their claims.....just wrong....and deceptive.....dropped them for another insurance company.....