Honored Contributor

@pdlinda  Did you read the procedure on your statement for disputing a charge? Usually phone calls do not preserve your rights. You should have disputed the charge in writing within 60 days of it.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee 

No, I didn't because I readily ADMIT I was blindsided by the fact that what I thought would be a short resolution in my favor with USAA turned into this MESS!

As I mentioned upthread, when this issue arose, it was unfathomable to me that what I'm going through would occur. 

So, that's that's the explanation for me not immediately treating this with the seriousness it deserved!

Esteemed Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@Pearlee 

No, I didn't because I readily ADMIT I was blindsided by the fact that what I thought would be a short resolution in my favor with USAA turned into this MESS!

As I mentioned upthread, when this issue arose, it was unfathomable to me that what I'm going through would occur. 

So, that's that's the explanation for me not immediately treating this with the seriousness it deserved!

@pdlinda get the info that Mindy D stated.  Do it now and save if before it's no longer available to you.  

When you're all set, let us know how it works out for you.  Good luck!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

Will do.  Honestly, I had no idea disputing that charge would turn into a "career." 

However, I understand I have to see this through in ways I had no idea about before posting this morning!

Honored Contributor

I'm not familiar with USAA but have had a Chase card for many years.  Whenever there has been a problem (a few years ago someone charged 11K overseas on my card) I call Chase and they have taken care of it.  It usually means closing the account and getting a new card & number.

Have you tried calling Chase?

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9   Exactly what happened to you with Chase was what I thought would happen to me with USAA!!

I didn't think to involve Chase as when I use their card to pay for all my Amazon purchases, I have to individually authorize payment for each one.  It's not "automatic" to charge each Amazon purchase to my Chase card.  Therefore, I wasn't seeing how Chase would be involved in this transaction.  

However, someone suggested I get Amazon involved and I will do that.  The thing that stood out to me on the USAA posting of the charge is that there is usually a code and a tel# for the merchant.  In this case, there were some letters after the "Amazon Marketplace" entry but no contact info whatsoever.

Lastly, I thought because (in the greater scheme of things) the amount (under $100) was so miniscule, that USAA would dispose of it immediately (or almost immediately) by simply "WRITING IT OFF" and ending the matter keeping me as a satisfied customer.  My fault for not being more wary.

Respected Contributor

pdlinda wrote:

Have been with USAA for MANY years ( from my father who was in the military).

I have various products with them and was always proud to refer to myself as USAA for life!"  

Last July, 2021, I got an entry on my CC Visa statement for just under $100 from a vendor in the "Amazon Marketplace." 

I immediately called USAA to report a fraud as I have a Chase card (with 5% back) that I use for all my Amazon purchases so there is no circumstance where I would use the USAA card for any Amazon purchase.  I have no idea who perpetrated the fraud, no company is mentioned on the coded entry on my account and I have no other info to offer them in this matter.

It is now almost October and this matter has not resolved!!  The $98 charge still appears on my statement!  I have called 8 different levels of CS (including the latest being the "Chairman's Office") to no avail!  Each agent, at whatever level of CS has a script telling me their "team" is working on it, research is being done by their fraud dept....it goes on and on with NO RESOLUTION!  

The individual answering the phone is always pleasant but apparently unable to wield the clout to get the charge reversed and satisfy me that the matter is closed in my favor.  It feels like I'm stuck in a loop of inertia!!

To say I have lost complete faith in USAA would be an understatement and I'm at a loss as to how to proceed to get that $98. charge reversed on my account.

As an aside, I also have a substantial (for me) savings acct that I've had for years with USAA.  I would like to close it to reflect my loss of confidence in the company.  However, I have no idea where I would park that $$$ so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If I'm reading this right, the charge was on her USAA credit card not her Chase credit card. 

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@haddon9   Exactly what happened to you with Chase was what I thought would happen to me with USAA!!

I didn't think to involve Chase as when I use their card to pay for all my Amazon purchases, I have to individually authorize payment for each one.  It's not "automatic" to charge each Amazon purchase to my Chase card.  Therefore, I wasn't seeing how Chase would be involved in this transaction.  

However, someone suggested I get Amazon involved and I will do that.  The thing that stood out to me on the USAA posting of the charge is that there is usually a code and a tel# for the merchant.  In this case, there were some letters after the "Amazon Marketplace" entry but no contact info whatsoever.

Lastly, I thought because (in the greater scheme of things) the amount (under $100) was so miniscule, that USAA would dispose of it immediately (or almost immediately) by simply "WRITING IT OFF" and ending the matter keeping me as a satisfied customer.  My fault for not being more wary.

@pdlinda My Chase credit card is actually an Amazon card backed by Chase.  I get a lot of great Amazon points that converts to cash.  That said I would go directly to Chase first!  They are the ones who hold your account and who you pay.  

I would call right now (there should be a phone number on the card) and ask them for assistance.  You can tell them that you tried with USAA and have received no resolution.

Honored Contributor
I’m confused also. The original post makes it sound like the card used was NOT Chase but another card issued through USAA that she doesn’t use for Amazon purchases. 🧐
Honored Contributor

@MorningLover I got the impression that it was a USAA card backed by Chase.  I happen to have an Amazon card that is backed by Chase.