Super Contributor

DIANA ROSS - 75th Birthday Celebration Tour

Gifted my mom tickets to see Diana Ross last week in Charlotte....she has been a Supremes fan forever....during the show, my mom reached over and hugged me - that's how excited she was!....my mom went home and found her concert program from the 80's when she and my dad went to see her....Diana Ross will be 76 this month and my mom will be 70 in August!....my mom is still talking about the show - PRICELESS! - Thankful to still have both of my parents....celebrate them everyday!

Honored Contributor

Re: DIANA ROSS - 75th Birthday Celebration Tour

That's awesome!  I saw her very long ago and she was wonderful!  Not only did she sound amazing, but I couldn't get over how exquisitely beautiful she was!!!  Wonderful memories you have to share, also!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

How awesome!  I loved your post...so glad you and your Mom shared such a special experience.

Diana Ross is such a great talent.  I was just listening to her song "Last Time I Saw Him" on YouTube the other day...love that song!  Growing up in Michigan...Motown was in our blood, so her music was a huge part of our lives!

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

That's awesome!  I saw her very long ago and she was wonderful!  Not only did she sound amazing, but I couldn't get over how exquisitely beautiful she was!!!  Wonderful memories you have to share, also!!!!  

Yes ma'am!....and she is still gorgeous and twirling around :-)

Super Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

How awesome!  I loved your post...so glad you and your Mom shared such a special experience.

Diana Ross is such a great talent.  I was just listening to her song "Last Time I Saw Him" on YouTube the other day...love that song!  Growing up in Michigan...Motown was in our blood, so her music was a huge part of our lives!

Oh man! - how lucky were you - there is nothing like MOTOWN!....my goal is still to try to visit Hitsville USA and Graceland one day (I know, I'm a sucker for things like that - LOL!)....Smokey Robinson was in NC last year and I wanted to go see him so bad and still regret not going....but I will be there when the play 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg' come in a few months - I love the Temptations too!

Respected Contributor

@topcat10 I've driven by the Hitsville USA building, but we didn't have time to stop.  It's really quite small...amazing to think of the ENORMOUS hits with such an impact that came out of there!  Hopefully this year I will make it down there to actually go inside!

You've got great musical taste!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@topcat10 

Your post brought tears to my eyes!  How perfectly wonderful that you could share this with your mother.  And, how wonderful that she is still with you!  

Wanted to tell you my Smokey R. story since you mentioned you wanted so much to see him.

Years ago, he was playing the Calvert Marine Musem in my area.  It is an outdoor venue and has some amazing concerts.

It is reserved seating, but....people spend most of the evening up and walking around, drinking beer and wine.  It's a little bit of a rowdy crowd Cat LOL

So, I bought tickets for Smokey....we arrived early.  Smokey, however, kept us waiting and, finally, an extremely long white limo pulled into the area where we were standing, and out poured Smokey and a gaggle of beautiful woman.  It was so perfect.

He was so matter-of-fact about it, like it was the most natural thing and no one would mind.  They didn't.

He went on to do a fabulous show and the crowd loved him.  Motown and that sound, those songs...well, they are just the best!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I caught her fabulous act about three years ago at Wolf Trap, a local venue that features concert performances. 

Well, I am considerably older than your mother, and I could not stay in my seat.  Was up, doing my "Supremes' " moves along with familiar lyrics and had the time of my life -- as did the woman seated next to me with her portable oxygen apparatus.  So many in the audience had a mild infirmity or simply much age on their back.  For the night, though, we were young, joyful and frisky.

There was a generational mix making up the audience, but so many of us were in our 70s and 80s.  Not to be missed if you are a Diana Ross and the Supremes fan or simply love Motown music of their era.

As for Miss Ross's gowns -- ahh, absolutely gorgeous.     

I am so pleased that you gave your mother such a sparkling gift and that she loved it!

Respected Contributor

Now I want to go look at Diana Ross CDs. Sounds like a fabulous concert. 

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 

Well, now, your post made me cry.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling young and joyful for that time.  Sigh.

Weren't they just so elegant?