Respected Contributor

More confirmed virus in Georgia, advice to stay home

[ Edited ]

<<Confirmed and presumptive cases of virus in Georgia increase to 17>>

News 10 hours ago

By Jeremy RedmonGreg BluesteinHelena Oliviero, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The number of Georgians infected by the disease caused by coronavirus is quickly rising, with six confirmed diagnoses now and at least another 11 that are “presumptive positive,” according to the Department of Public Health.

The cases of COVID-19 are mostly centered in metro Atlanta, with patients in Cherokee, Cobb, DeKalb, Fayette, Fulton and Gwinnett counties. Two other cases were reported in Floyd and Polk counties.

At a press conference Monday, Gov. Brian Kemp urged the public to take precautions. “If you’re sick, do not go to work. Do not attend large events. You will put others at risk,” said Kemp, who said he wasn’t ready yet to call for the cancellation of large gatherings.>>

[I wonder how many large events will still be worth holding if people are urged not to attend?  I noticed a few days ago that famous star basketball player LeBron James said he wouldn't play to empty stands. If one of the biggest BB stars isn't playing, who wants to see the game?  LOL!! ]

Esteemed Contributor

Re: More confirmed virus in Georgia, advice to stay home

The Governor urged SICK people to stay home.

He did NOT say for EVERYONE to stay home.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 

People ARE staying home--whether sick or not--and one casualty in that is restaurant business.

Today's  Atlanta newspaper described the   restaurant business dropoff, attributed to "people limiting their risk of exposure by steering clear of communal areas like restaurants and cafes".

One good thing is that area food service places are retraining employees about sanitation and taking other measures to protect staff and customers.  

At Atlanta's bustling and well-known  VARSITY restaurant, people wanting drink refills will now get new cups each time.

Sanitizer is available at the entrance and employees are using well-stocked cleaning supplies for use at the front door and throughout the building.  A shift position dedicated to sanitation has been added.

Concern grows as to whether service workers might lose their jobs as business declines, because some establishments have already let some staff go due to a sudden decline in customers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We're in Cherokee County and have the luxury of being home all the time as hubby works from home and we don't go out very often.  Oh we go out but are very aware of hand washing, don't touch our faces and etc.  We aren't hermits nor will we be.

We do have a Disney trip planned next month and hubby is watching what's going on with them in regards to this illness..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

And that's exactly why people who are healthy, need to go out and patronize these businesses.

By holeing up at home indefinitely, is only going to come back and bite us in the gluteus maximus.

It will have a negative financial ripple effect, and we will only have ourselves to blame for it.

For gosh sakes, if you feel fine, then go out and live your life!

Did anybody even hear, and more importantly, even listen to what Dr. Fauci said yesterday at the press conference?

Everybody has him on a pedestal, as the #1 guru, who is the end-all and be-all person, whose word is gospel regarding the Corona virus.

He said that if you feel fine and have no symptoms, that it's okay to go out!

And he also said that even if you do come down with the virus, majority WILL recover!

If one is over 65, and has underlying health conditions, then be more cautious, but that would go for any illness, and not just the COVID-19 virus.

But other than that, it's okay to actually go outside.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder why anyone would take the Georgia governor's advice literally to mean that only sick people should stay home, and not use common sense instead.

When we go out, how do others (or we ) know for sure that any of us are not on the verge of getting sick?  People sneeze and cough all the time, spreading who knows what.

That doesn't mean that I'm staying home, however.  I don't have underlying health conditions and am in pretty good health overall.

DH and I are breaking all the "rules" for our age group.  We go to the gym most days of the week where we have to  touch surfaces used by other sweaty people, many of whom are older than we are!

Last night, we went to a large meeting attended by about 75 people and went out to dinner after that.

To each his own.  Some take advice more seriously than others and do what's right for them.  I was only reporting on what a news report said about the state of certain things locally.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I wonder why anyone would take the Georgia governor's advice literally to mean that only sick people should stay home, and not use common sense instead.

When we go out, how do others (or we or they) know for sure that any of us are not on the verge of getting sick?  People sneeze and cough all the time, spreading who knows what.

But that is every day life, even before the Corona virus came on scene!

Nobody was in a blind panic, and holeing (sp?) up at home, quaking in fear, that they might catch "who knows what".

They went out, did things, went places, lived life, and that's what people need to do now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819  people can do take out food if they aren't comfortable eating out.  

Honored Contributor

Here in Wisconsin, the warmer weather has led to my husband and I picking up fallen twigs on our lawn.  It is nice to go outside to get some exercise in the spring.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

<<Confirmed and presumptive cases of virus in Georgia increase to 17>>

News 10 hours ago

By Jeremy RedmonGreg BluesteinHelena Oliviero, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The number of Georgians infected by the disease caused by coronavirus is quickly rising, with six confirmed diagnoses now and at least another 11 that are “presumptive positive,” according to the Department of Public Health.

The cases of COVID-19 are mostly centered in metro Atlanta, with patients in Cherokee, Cobb, DeKalb, Fayette, Fulton and Gwinnett counties. Two other cases were reported in Floyd and Polk counties.

At a press conference Monday, Gov. Brian Kemp urged the public to take precautions. “If you’re sick, do not go to work. Do not attend large events. You will put others at risk,” said Kemp, who said he wasn’t ready yet to call for the cancellation of large gatherings.>>

[I wonder how many large events will still be worth holding if people are urged not to attend?  I noticed a few days ago that famous star basketball player LeBron James said he wouldn't play to empty stands. If one of the biggest BB stars isn't playing, who wants to see the game?  LOL!! ]

I live in Fulton County, specifically North Fulton County.  My daughter's school is closed today because a Fulton school employee tested positive for the coronavirus.  Fulton County School District is huge and this school is more than an hour away and chances are this particular teacher wasn't at my daughter's school.  The middle school where this teacher worked was let out early yesterday and so was the High School next door because it's so close.  Won't find out until this evening when the school board meets how long school will be closed.