Esteemed Contributor

Re: DH has altitude sickness

@hckynut 

Kitty is managing with me giving shots.  I tend to be squeamish about it, but DH just does it and moves on.

He has had the full workup of heart an pulminary, that is how he knows about diminished lung capacity.  But it may be time to recheck.

The steps I was referring to are a long set of steps up a hillside, but he's mentioned this to me before and, of course, it concerns me.  I've said so more than once.

He's 65 and quit smoking at 40.  He always had bronchitius as a child, and I don't know how much attention was paid to the problem.  Things were different back then and his mom had 6 kids to look after.  I'm not sure they took it as serious as it should have been.

I did phone his sis and she is monitoring the situation.  I know he is reluctant to leave early, but I want him to.

The lodge is close to above 8,000 feet (not sure, but I thought they might have said 10,000)...that sounds crazy to me, but I was brought up in the flatlands of Illinois and moved here to just above sea levelCat LOL

In the end, he's got to use his own judgment.  All I can do is encourage him to take it seriously.  He said he got 30 minutes of oxygen at the lodge and felt a little better.

I'm sure he is surprised it hit him so hard.  He's one of those men who is never sick and tough as nails.  I never heard him complain about how he felt.  I think there is a tendency to tough it out.  He's not used to being incapacitated (I am) with an illness.  I suffered migraines for 15 years and, I don't think he's ever had a headache or been nauseous!

I've given all the advice I can give from my perch.  Now, it's up to him.  If I'd have gone, I'd have already been on a return flight.

Again, thanks to all he offered help and advice.

Contributor

Altitude sickness is a real thing, for some people more than others.  I was at a conference for a week in Keystone, CO (a very lovely place I might add) and the way it affected me was that I couldn’t sleep.   I  heard taking a baby aspirin will help some and drinking lots of water. Suggest due to extreme symptoms your husband is experiencing he should talk with a pharmacist as others have suggested.  If there is a 24 hour medical facility nearby he should seek attention there.  Certainly wishing your husband a speedy recovery.  

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

I learned about how altitude effected breathing when I went to Fort Carson Colorado for 2 week US Army Reserve training camp back in the early 1960's. I also did a lot of Auto Drag Racing back then at 2 Drag Strips in Colorado.

Cars engines with carburetors(no fuel injected engines in many cars back then) built for low sea level, needed major carburetor changes, to even run at those high altitudes. Race cars were not easy to adapt to win races way up that high.

I understand men and their "macho", I'll gut it out. Many of my friends that were "macho" in respect to their health, are no longer with us. It's sad, but they wouldn't even listen "my sermons", and 2 of them were my best friends.

I don't have problems injecting our cats. I think injecting myself in the stomach with big syringes of Lovenox for long periods of time, it is a blood thinner. Also have 2 cats now that have to be given IV fluids on a regular basis. Takes much longer than an insulin shot.

Hope your husband does the right thing, for himself, and for you and your family.

Best to you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman , sending good thoughts your way and hoping your DH improves.  I am with @Kachina624 .  These symptoms are very similar to heart issues and, to be safe, he should have a full work up when he gets home.  Some people are fortunate enough to have a warning.  Some are not.  Better safe than sorry.

Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've lived in Colorado for over 50 years. The only time I had alt sickness was when I went up to over 14,000 feet the first time. After that I never got sick again. Because of the high altitudes all over the state, it's easy to get drunk and newcomers really go overboard unknowingly so. There's so many weird things about living at high altitudes. You don't think about that until you come here or live here for a while.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee.  You must have gone up on Mt. Evans, highest paved road in North America,  I believe.  Ive6been up there too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

We flew from our home in Florida to Denver 2 years ago.  Stayed in Denver for 2 nights,  continued on to Estes Park for an additional 3 nights, then on to Colorado Springs for a few more nights.

My husband got attitude sickness in Estes Park and was miserable.  He spent his time in bed, staying hydrated with bottled water and soup.  He had a headache and was vomiting.  Once we left Estes Park he felt better.

Hope your husband feels better soon. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee.  You must have gone up on Mt. Evans, highest paved road in North America,  I believe.  Ive6been up there too.

@Kachina624 

Yes! I've been up that road also. I've actually hiked seven '14ers' in my life. I was a member of the Colorado Mountain Club and I was also a volunteer for Pike's Peak Search and Rescue...both for many years when I was younger. 

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

hope your DH is feeling better today - 

how is your kitty doing?

going to be hot again - high 80s + humid tomorrow - yuck

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yahooey 

and all....for those of you still with me on this....Cat LOL

DH got to the wedding and ate, but I think he spent most of the day getting oxygen on and off. 

He's not one to share too much info.  I was shocked when he even told me he was sick.  That's how I knew he must have REALLY been sick.

Anyway, I believe he is headed back down to the mountain to Denver today.  Found out it was 12,000' in Winterpark, CO.  

So, I'm hoping to hear from him today.  I'm off to see the Downtown Abbey movie, so I told him to text me any updates.

Kitty is fine....I still hate giving him the shots but can manage.  I know he misses his routine with DH.

We don't travel much, so he rarely has to adjust to change.  I think we both (me and kitty) love our routines and don't want to change.

Think I was a cat in my past life....I had any disruption.

Thanks, again, to all who responded.  It helped ME to talk about it....Cat Happy