Honored Contributor

Re: DH has altitude sickness

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman 

it is good that he is coming down in elevation -

he will feel better real soon - adjust his body and come home tomorrow

I once went to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico for a business trip

the co worker that I was traveling with felt real light headed

I felt a little winded but we were both better after a day of adjustment - 6,000 ft

I'm impressed that you can give your kitty shots - 

you will handling 20 lb ferals without gloves in no time lol

I'm aiming to see the movie also - just maybe a few weeks out

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman   i hope you DH feels better soon.  it's funny how no one warns people about the very high elevation and its potential effects.

My ex and i stayed in Littleton CO once for a few days.

Littleton is just over 1 mile elevation.  We flew into Denver and we were fine.

Then someone suggested an interesting sightseeing trip so we drive up Mt.Evans. Over 14k feet.  There's a paved road, no problem. 

i don't recall how high up we drove, nowhere near the summit, but there were white furry wild animals running around all the rocks and the mist was so thick they could barely be seen.

i got so weak even sitting in the car, gasping for breath. nauseous, shaky. felt a weight on my chest.  He was fine, but i insisted he turn around.  that was  scary on a narrow road with sheer dropoffs.  i think he did a 3-point turn..my eyes were pasted shut.   i was still a bit shaky after we got back to our hotel. 

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Yahooey 

and all....for those of you still with me on this....Cat LOL

DH got to the wedding and ate, but I think he spent most of the day getting oxygen on and off. 

He's not one to share too much info.  I was shocked when he even told me he was sick.  That's how I knew he must have REALLY been sick.

Anyway, I believe he is headed back down to the mountain to Denver today.  Found out it was 12,000' in Winterpark, CO.  

So, I'm hoping to hear from him today.  I'm off to see the Downtown Abbey movie, so I told him to text me any updates.

Kitty is fine....I still hate giving him the shots but can manage.  I know he misses his routine with DH.

We don't travel much, so he rarely has to adjust to change.  I think we both (me and kitty) love our routines and don't want to change.

Think I was a cat in my past life....I had any disruption.

Thanks, again, to all who responded.  It helped ME to talk about it....Cat Happy

@Witchy Woman.  Winter Park's altitude is listed as being 9100 ft.  It's unlikely a resort would be built at 12,000 ft as it would affect too many people adversely.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Yahooey 

and all....for those of you still with me on this....Cat LOL

DH got to the wedding and ate, but I think he spent most of the day getting oxygen on and off. 

He's not one to share too much info.  I was shocked when he even told me he was sick.  That's how I knew he must have REALLY been sick.

Anyway, I believe he is headed back down to the mountain to Denver today.  Found out it was 12,000' in Winterpark, CO.  

So, I'm hoping to hear from him today.  I'm off to see the Downtown Abbey movie, so I told him to text me any updates.

Kitty is fine....I still hate giving him the shots but can manage.  I know he misses his routine with DH.

We don't travel much, so he rarely has to adjust to change.  I think we both (me and kitty) love our routines and don't want to change.

Think I was a cat in my past life....I had any disruption.

Thanks, again, to all who responded.  It helped ME to talk about it....Cat Happy

@Witchy Woman.  Winter Park's altitude is listed as being 9100 ft.  It's unlikely a resort would be built at 12,000 ft as it would affect too many people adversely.

@Kachina624   It is a ski resort and the top elevation is 12,000 ft.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 

Thanks for the clarification.  My sister in law mentioned this to me, but I didn't check it.

To all who offered suggestions and comments, he just boarded a Denver flight to return home.  Should be in at Dulles around midnight.

Doubt this will be a future vacation spot for us Cat LOL

@Yahooey 

I am so relieved that DH will do the shots....I will gladly relinquish that duty!  Ugh....but I had to learn just in case.

On a happy note, the Downtown Abbey movie was glorious.  Saw it with my sis today (she drove from her home in Northern, NJ, so we could go together).

It was the best....funny, sad, wonderful, beautiful....just soaring and spectacular.  I'm going to buy it on DVD, so I can watch it again and again!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

I would have Mr Carson fetch you a cup of tea with a lil somethin' added in for 'flavor'

wink wink

you deserve it

I absolutely love the fashion - so stunning

I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves - sounds like fun

can't wait to see it

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

Just seeing this and want to wish you, DH and Kitty all the best. 

We have an insulin dependent Kitty, so know the drill.

Honestly, for some reason, I first read your title as ATTITUDE sickness.  Smiley Surprised>

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe 

Thanks for your good wishes.  My kitty is the last one standing frm my past "herd."  He is senior, so every day with him is an extra gift.  His brother left us many years ago with FIP.  Anyway, he needs his shots, so is always a priority.

Yea, well, my DH often does have "attitude" sickness too! I think several read it that way.

At least the altitude sickness goes away Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Drythe 

Thanks for your good wishes.  My kitty is the last one standing frm my past "herd."  He is senior, so every day with him is an extra gift.  His brother left us many years ago with FIP.  Anyway, he needs his shots, so is always a priority.

Yea, well, my DH often does have "attitude" sickness too! I think several read it that way.

At least the altitude sickness goes away Cat LOL

@Witchy Woman 

Our insulin dependent kitty is 14, she is the last of 4 wonderful Katrina Survivers who came back with us from New Orleans.  What an amazing, loving, joyful blessing each of them were.  

I understand the priority.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I suppose I should have know what altitude I'm living in before I read this post but I didn't.  Since I read this post I learned the great state of Michigan has an altitude that falls between 571 and 1,979 feet.  Depends on where you are in the state.

At this point it's probably not a good idea for me to ride a really tall rollercoaster Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise