Esteemed Contributor

In the scheme of things, this is minor, but my husband is NEVER sick.  Never.  In all our years together I can count on one hand the times he said he wasn't feeling good.

He's in Colorado for a family wedding and called this morning sounding miserable.  Throwing up, short of breath and can hardly make a set of stairs.  He wasn't sure he could eat and hadn't even had a cup of his beloved coffee!

I feel so bad for him and can do nothing.  Told him to consult with his sis and the lodge where he is staying.  Go to a hospital if necessary.  I would head straight home, but that is me.

Unfortunately, after flying into Denver, he had to drive 3 hours to the location!  Oy!

I stayed behind to care for our diabetic kitty, and it's likely good that I did.  I'm sure I'd be on the floor as I am easily car and sea sick and have a sensitive stomach.  

I know it will pass, but I'm worried about him.  Just needed to say so.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DH has altitude sickness

Google "altitude sickness" and have your husband speak to a pharmacist for OTC meds.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman  If your DH continues with symptoms he should go to urgent care .... if he’s very short of breath he may need some oxygen. What elevation do you live at?  I live at 7000 ft and have had a few visitors come down with it..DW

Esteemed Contributor

I live at 6500 ft and several years ago I felt light headed and then I fainted.  I ended up in emergency room and they asked me several questions including "do you live here or are you visiting?" My problem was that I needed an adjustment in blood pressure meds (it had been prescribed when I lived at 3000 ft).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman   Your DH needs medical attention.  He has classic symptoms of altitude sickness (also called mountain sickness).

He most likely is dehydrated.  Water, water, water. 

I've been to Colorado for decades and staying hydrated kept me from serious symptoms other than a headache for the first day or two.  Eventually I didn't even get headaches.

While some people, like my own DH just needed to hydrate, some people can end up with their symptoms causing more harm.

I don't mean to scare you and I am not a medical professional but I am very familiar with mountain sickness.

He needs hydration; not just for the vomiting but because of the higher altitude causing dehydration, too.

He's going to feel it.  Not everyone does but most need to adapt.

Some will feel better after hydrating, some will not.  It is best he sees somebody at an urgent care center just to be sure.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I flew back and forth to Colorado for three years. It sounds like altitude sickness and he needs to see a doctor. The hotel usully has a contac and some have one on staff. I also had a problem with the water. It made me ill as well. Once they  put some iv liquid in him and give himmeication for the vomiting he'll start to feel better. Bottled water as well and be careful of any drink that has water mixed in with the ingrediants.  

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Please let us know how he’s doing... visiting the mountains can be sketchy the older we get.  Please listen to me and @Cakers3 and @patbz .  We don’t mean to scare you but he may need medical attention....DW

Honored Contributor

My sympathy to your DH, hope he makes it through this OK.  Mine has attitude sickness.  

Esteemed Contributor

@dancingwoman 

He told me they had oxygen at the Lodge and he took it for only 30 seconds.  Doesn't seem long enough to me.

We are in Maryland, so we are low, under 200'

I agree he should go to urgent care, and told him so.  Ultimately, he's in control and I can only make suggestions.

I'm hoping his sis will be helpful.

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

My sympathy to your DH, hope he makes it through this OK.  Mine has attitude sickness.  

I caught that, @depglass !

I sincerely hope both DH’s involved make speedy recoveries.