Esteemed Contributor

I have been on many cruises. All ages. As soon as they open up I am booking one. Good thing in America where no one puts a gun to your head to cruise.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Since going on ocean cruises is not for you, what type of vacation travel is your preference?

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Well, the good news is that no one is going to come to your house, drag you to the docks and force you on to a cruise ship if you don't want to go. 

I've been on two cruises and overall enjoyed myself. There were some things that I didn't care for, but the biggest "not so much" for me was that the average age of my fellow passengers was 75 on one cruise and 78 on another, and I really didn't think the food was anything special. Both were on Holland America. When I cruise again at some point, I'll pick a different cruise line. 

@FrostyBabe1 my husband has a friend who is a few years older than us, in his early 70's.  He and his wife took an Alaskan cruise last year and he said they were the youngest couple on the ship!

We went on a cruise to Alaska. And we were visiting Mendenhall Glacier. The bus drops you off at the Visitors Center. And then there are paved walkways to a nice viewing area of the glacier.

Fortunately our cruise ship tour was the first one of the day. We saw the bear tracks along the water. And got many pictures. When we were walking back, we ran into another cruise ship group. I felt so bad. everyone of them asked us how much further they had to walk. They clearly weren't doing very well with the little hike on paved walkways.

Guess that will be me in a few years.

Esteemed Contributor

Two years ago DH & I took a Caribbean cruise on MSC it was spectacular. It consisted of all age groups from very young to old.However, we will not consider going on another cruise until at least late 2022.We have to be sure that Covid 19 is gone first.

Respected Contributor

I love cruising. So I would be happy to go for those that don't like it.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Since going on ocean cruises is not for you, what type of vacation travel is your preference?

I like to do things spontaneously, meaning no real set plan for what I want to do each day. I don't want to be rushed, or have to be back someplace by a certain time.

I also like to get off of the beaten path, away from the tourist traps, and experience local culture and cuisine.

When I went to Ireland in 2002, I went to a little town called Fermoy, in County Cork.

Beautiful area! I didn't want to leave!

My next big trip that I dream of taking some day, is to go to Scotland, and just see where the wind takes me.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

Viking, the best line around.   Been on quite a few lines and found Viking, small, all ages but no children allowed.  Food is amazing.  We are booked for end of Jan. 2021 to Panama Canal.  Hope it goes, have not received any word yet.

Honored Contributor

OMG!  I think anyone would be hard pressed to find someone who takes as many cruses (previously) as my son in law's parents.

They've cruised around the world 3 times, they've taken cruises in way far off places.

They are normally never home at all.  They have many special things they get from the cruise line.  I think one of the advantages is the cruise line cleans their clothes while they're on the cruise.

They were on another of their around the world cruises (I think it would have been the 4th) when Covid hit.  They were lucky, they managed to get to Miami and finally ended up back home (have no idea how or when).

The wife who is a year older than me (she's going on 75) and had breast cancer.  She went through chemo and promptly got on this last cruise.

My son in law keeps telling them they should sell their house and live in an apartment.  He has to make sure the lawn is mowed, etc.

She is always telling me I should cruise (this was BEFORE the virus).  I like them both a lot.  We get along really well.

She says because I'm very outgoing I could cruise by myself and have fun.

I know she's right but it's more fun if you have someone to share it with.  My late husband and girls and I went on one cruise.  We loved it but that was enough.

I have no trouble with making friends.  I'll go up and introduce myself.  I do that in stores, everywhere.

Even with the mask on I talked to 2 people at Walmart the other day.  We spent about 10 minutes talking each.

When they're not cruising their other son owns a place in Hawaii just to get away for awhile (he lives in Silicon Valley).

Since Covid all that has stopped right now I assume.  I have no idea.

My daughter and son in law's godfather flies for one of the airlines.  I keep asking if he's going to get furloughed and so far the answer is no.  He's teaching my granddaughters how to fly.  They're getting pretty good.

Honored Contributor

A cruise sounds like a hostage situation to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've been on many cruises. Alaska, Islands, Europe.

The last cruise was with friends on a Tauck Tour riverboat cruise to Holland, Amsterdam, Brussels, etc.  through locks sometimes. 
  It was the easiest cruise and all tours were included. 
  The tulips were beautiful and food delicious.

That was the last cruise I'll ever take. Probably the last trip and I love to travel. But with the pandemic even if there's a vaccine I won't go.