Esteemed Contributor

I work with someone who loves  to go cruising.

He takes at least one a year, and considers himself to be the King of cruising, and he can't wait to go on his next cruise next year.

Me?

Even if the trip was 100% free, and I got paid to go, I have zero interest in being on a floating Petri dish.

Even though a lot can happen between now and the next nine months, I don't see how the cruise industry can stay afloat with Covid being a factor.

Yes, the pun  was intended.

But, to each their own.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

There are people who do love to cruise and then those who shudder at the idea.

Then the in between people.

It's always been a personal choice.  

And a battle between the two groups.

I've always looked at public restrooms as petri dishes.  Would never sit on a public toilet seat or lay my handbag on the floor of a public restroom.

There I said it, the gloves are on!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I don't like to be around people, so there's about a snowballs chance of me getting on a big boat heading out to sea with more people than I can count!!  

Respected Contributor

Well, the good news is that no one is going to come to your house, drag you to the docks and force you on to a cruise ship if you don't want to go. 

I've been on two cruises and overall enjoyed myself. There were some things that I didn't care for, but the biggest "not so much" for me was that the average age of my fellow passengers was 75 on one cruise and 78 on another, and I really didn't think the food was anything special. Both were on Holland America. When I cruise again at some point, I'll pick a different cruise line. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 :  I have taken many ( mostly) long cruises on Celebrity, Cunard, Princess, Carnival, Royal Carribean, and Holland America.  I enjoyed most of them thoroughly but Carnival was only so so and Holland America (30 days from Rio to N.Y.C.) had real problems (good was very uneven, ship needed a lot of repairs, and some excursions were not well thought out at all (imagine putting passengers on a bus and dropping them in the middle of no where where the native language is Portuguese).  I know Holland America does world cruises (out of my budget) but I'll never take another with them.  I will cruise again but not until probably Fall of 2022 and probably will go to Australia (love it) and New Zealand.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Well, the good news is that no one is going to come to your house, drag you to the docks and force you on to a cruise ship if you don't want to go. 

I've been on two cruises and overall enjoyed myself. There were some things that I didn't care for, but the biggest "not so much" for me was that the average age of my fellow passengers was 75 on one cruise and 78 on another, and I really didn't think the food was anything special. Both were on Holland America. When I cruise again at some point, I'll pick a different cruise line. 

@FrostyBabe1 my husband has a friend who is a few years older than us, in his early 70's.  He and his wife took an Alaskan cruise last year and he said they were the youngest couple on the ship!

Honored Contributor

We have taken 20+ cruises over the years and our favorite line is Holland America.  We are booked on a cruise for next October, 2021, and are looking at taking one in the spring of next year.  We have also taken cruises on Carnival and Norwegian, neither of which I would ever take again.  I also would not go on one of those megaships of 3,000+ passengers.  But cruising is a great way to experience many different cities/countries without a lot of hassles.  Really missing traveling and cruising.

Honored Contributor

My friends and I used to cruise Sunset Boulevard in the Sixties. Does that count?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

My DH and I enjoy cruising.  We especially like the entertainment in the evenings.  I never felt crowded.  I especially like Carnival because there is a good mix of ages and it is casual dress.  The demographic on other cruise lines we've been on (Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Princess) is much more a mix of nationalities and languages, but not elderly like Holland America seems to be.  We don't vacation for gourmet food, but we do like sitting with the same group of people in the dining room each night and getting to know them.  We always book a balcony room so I never feel claustrophobic.  I look forward to being able to cruise again, hopefully in 2022.

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I went on a $$$ cruise on Princess Cruises.  I would say that the average age was 75+. We are not young, but it was difficult getting around past canes, walkers, and scooters.  The food was not that great, and neither were the excursions worth the cost. We won't cruise again.