Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Since going on ocean cruises is not for you, what type of vacation travel is your preference?

@deepwaterdotter 

My vacations did not include traveling on a boat or in a plane. My Auto racing years I spent some vacation days going to further states to race. Most racing was on Sundays, and if I went too far, I could not get back in time to go to work.

When I quit racing?  I wanted nothing to do with any traveling, period! I wanted to run more/skate more and enjoy my home more. Traveling was for other people, still is to me. Now my wife? 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

My friends and I used to cruise Sunset Boulevard in the Sixties. Does that count?

@suzyQ3   Haha!  It's 3am and I can't sleep....this was my first thought when the OP mentioned "cruising"....only I'm on the east coast.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Since going on ocean cruises is not for you, what type of vacation travel is your preference?

I like to do things spontaneously, meaning no real set plan for what I want to do each day. I don't want to be rushed, or have to be back someplace by a certain time.

I also like to get off of the beaten path, away from the tourist traps, and experience local culture and cuisine.

When I went to Ireland in 2002, I went to a little town called Fermoy, in County Cork.

Beautiful area! I didn't want to leave!

My next big trip that I dream of taking some day, is to go to Scotland, and just see where the wind takes me.

@Anonymous032819 We used to be able to just go off the beaten path by ourselves years ago.  Now that my DH has health issues we no longer can do that. 

We went on a family trip  (12 of us with our adult kids and extended family) two years ago in September around Ireland.  It was a tour but it was a fabulous time....I would LOVE to go to Scotland someday!

Honored Contributor

My parents back in the 1980s & 90s used to take cruises every year and loved it!

As for me I've been a few times and always had a great time!...of course things are different now and I hope the industry can recover.  

I actually thought of taking a small cruise in the Caribbean back before the pandemic but we changed our minds...I would however like to go on a river cruise in Europe again.

Honored Contributor

The phrase floating petri dish is so overused and it's not even true.  Time to move on from that old chestnut.  If someone doesn't want to cruise, no one is forcing them.

The CDC extended the no sail order through October.  That is really irrelevent because the Cruise Line Industry of America had already voluntarily suspended cruising through October with plans to resume November 1.  

The cruiselines have been working very hard to get protocols together to start safely cruising again including firm check-in times at the ports, social distancing on the ships, mask wearing if you aren't outside, eliminating the buffet, testing and many others. They are also talking about the ships going out at a much reduced capacity and doing short itineraries to US ports and their own private islands.  There is also talk about potentially not allowing anyone to go on their own excursions once off the ship. All passengers would be required to do ship only excursions.

IMO the cruiselines need to be able to start sending ships out and see if they can safely do this.  Cruises are running in other parts of the world and so far, with the exception of one cruise ship who had a few people test positive and admittedly wasn't following their own protocols, everything has been fine.

People have no idea how devastating this shutdown has been not only to the cruise companies but everyone affiliated with cruising from the ports, the cities that host all these ships, hotels, airlines and restaurants near the ports, ride sharing services that take people back and forth to the ports and on and on it goes.   

Honored Contributor

I know several people who love cruises and go one every year.  I was never interested in a cruise but not because I was afraid of getting sick.  Hubby wants to take a cruise when all of "this" is over, he wants the experience.  He's more of people person than I am and my friends insist that it's a matter of choosing the right type of cruise.  

Honored Contributor

Here's the latest about Covid cases and cruising. It's not exactly great news. Remember norovirus is common on cruise ships, despite comprehensive precautions, and Covid is even more virulent than norovirus.

"There have been at least 3,689 COVID-19 or coronavirus-like illness cases on cruise ships in U.S. waters, "in addition to at least 41 reported deaths," the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said late Wednesday.

The CDC released the data from the period of March 1 through Sept. 29 in an emailed statement confirming the extension of a no-sail order for cruise ships through Oct. 31, as first reported  on Tuesday in an article revealing CDC director Robert Redfield was overruled in a push to extend the order into 2021.

• The figures are the result of cumulative surveillance data reported to the CDC and are "likely incomplete and an underestimate," the CDC said.

What else they're saying: "Recent outbreaks on cruise ships overseas provide current evidence that cruise ship travel continues to transmit and amplify the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 — even when ships sail at reduced passenger capacities — and would likely spread the infection into U.S. communities if passenger operations were to resume prematurely in the United States," the CDC said in its statement.

"Recent passenger voyages in foreign countries continue to have outbreaks, despite cruise ship operators having extensive health and safety protocols to prevent the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 on board and spread to communities where passengers disembark.

"When health and safety protocols were apparently observed, resuming passenger operations significantly burdened public health authorities by creating the need for additional SARS-CoV-2 testing, isolation of infected travelers, contact tracing, and quarantine of exposed people.""

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor
I like cruising.I always rested.Didnt have to do anything that had a time attached to it like eating in dining room with my time dining.

So its only if you want to do some activities like any vacation activities that ask for a ticket( like to a show or event).No biggie.

Just will wait my time till they get back on the seas.
Hey like I told a friend, they could circle around in the water the whole time for me.I' d be happy & no desire to get off ship.Been there done that.

Trusted Contributor
My sister loves to cruise, and has been on several long (28 day) cruises, as well as 7 and 14 day cruises. Her philosophy is to see as much of the world as she can see. She fears that she is done with cruising.
I love R&R on vacation. Give me a beach near great restaurants, an armload of books, and no schedule.
Different strokes for different folks!
Honored Contributor

The only recent outbreak on a cruise ship overseas turned out not to be true at all.  There were employees who tested positive on a Tui cruiseline ship and it later turned out the tests were false positives. They were retested and all tested negative 3 times.  The cruise has gone on as planned.  There have been no other outbreaks and cruising has been going forward overseas without any problems.

Carnival announced that they are cancelling all cruises for the remainder of the year except for those that depart from Port Canaveral and Port of Miami.  There are rumors other lines will follow suit.